Oregon wilderness permit system for Three Sisters, Jefferson delayed until 2021

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
xrp

Post by xrp » May 7th, 2020, 8:40 am

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... w1I1cd0rp8
A sweeping permit system that would have limited hiking and camping in three of Oregon's most popular wilderness areas has been delayed until 2021.

Given the complexities surrounding the coronavirus pandemic, and its impact on public lands, the U.S. Forest Service said it would begin the permit system a year from now.

“Given many logistical constraints caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we are delaying our implementation until next year,” Deschutes National Forest Supervisor Holly Jewkes said in a news release.

The Central Cascades Wildernesses limited entry system was set to begin May 22 and would have required hikers to get a permit to enter the Mount Jefferson, Three Sisters and Mount Washington wilderness areas for overnight use, and a day-use permit at 17 of the most popular trailheads.

johnspeth

Re: Oregon wilderness permit system for Three Sisters, Jefferson delayed until 2021

Post by johnspeth » May 7th, 2020, 8:59 am

Thanks for that. Now I can start planning my non-compliance. :)

teachpdx

Re: Oregon wilderness permit system for Three Sisters, Jefferson delayed until 2021

Post by teachpdx » May 7th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Best news of the day!
instagram: @remyodyssey

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 7th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Additionally, quoting from FS official statement:

"One aspect of the Central Cascades Wilderness Strategies decision, which will be implemented this year is the elevational campfire ban. The ban includes:

- All campfires are banned above 5,700’ elevation in Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington, and Three Sisters Wildernesses, as well as some areas lower than 5,700’
- All campfires are banned above 6,000’ elevation in Diamond Peak Wilderness.

Other than the elevational fire ban, the wilderness areas will be managed this year as they were previously."

Paul2

Post by Paul2 » May 8th, 2020, 7:57 am

Hope the trails don't get too overused this year with increased amounts of people outside due to COVID
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

RadioHiker

Post by RadioHiker » May 8th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Doesn't matter to me. I'll hike wherever and whenever I want. I pay my taxes, and those taxes are supposed to fund government agencies like the USFS. Not my problem if they don't know how to manage their money. When's the last time you heard of someone actually having criminal action taken against them for not having a NWFP? Same is likely going to be true for the supposed permit system. News flash folks...the government is supposed to work for us, not the other way around.

Post by Moderator » May 8th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Just a reminder. This forum is for discussing Hiking in the News. The Central Cascades Permit System is on-topic here and by its nature involves some connection to politics, but general political discussion should be taken to the Idle Chatter forum where it more properly belongs. Thanks.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 8th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Who is Moderator and why does he have only three posts? :?

xrp

Post by xrp » May 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Webfoot wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 8:46 pm
Who is Moderator and why does he have only three posts? :?
Moderator might be a she.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 10th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Please don't start that. :roll: