Washington State Parks opening - Yeah!

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
dmthomas49

Washington State Parks opening - Yeah!

Post by dmthomas49 » April 28th, 2020, 6:29 am

It looks like Washington State Parks are supposed to open May 6. But they say, it may take a few days for gates to be opened. https://www.parks.wa.gov/AlertCenter.a ... -REOPEN--3
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

gallione11

Re: Washington State Parks opening - Yeah!

Post by gallione11 » April 28th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Annnnd Oregon State parks just extended their closures. Reservations for day use and camping have been cancelled through Memorial Day now:

https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm? ... icleId=272

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 28th, 2020, 7:57 pm

I'm guessing that Oregon is holding back because so many of the state parks are at the coast, and the coastal communities really don't want us there yet. Lincoln and Clatsop Counties just extended their lodging closures through May 31, and I'm sure Tillamook will follow suit at their meeting tomorrow.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 29th, 2020, 5:57 am

we're making progress though, only 31 new daily cases reported yesterday, best in over a month. The largest daily new cases were 100.

I think it's about time to at least start easing off. Keep social distancing. If daily new cases start increasing then re-tighten.

It seems like the biggest problem governments have is to not take seriously until the infections get totally out of hand. I won't be too critical if they're a little slow to ease back up. If they open up state parks there will be a huge demand and there might be big crowds. This could be tricky.

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » April 29th, 2020, 6:31 am

retired jerry wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 5:57 am
If they open up state parks there will be a huge demand and there might be big crowds. This could be tricky.
I am with you on this Jerry. I also wonder if Skamania county will balk at this and slow down openings.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

burnside

Post by burnside » April 30th, 2020, 10:59 am

On the WA Parks site they state that "Some parks may not open immediately due to impacts on rural communities and the potential for crowding." Does anyone know a number we can call to see if a park will be open? I'd hate to drive hours out to see no access.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 30th, 2020, 11:31 am

burnside wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 10:59 am
On the WA Parks site they state that "Some parks may not open immediately due to impacts on rural communities and the potential for crowding." Does anyone know a number we can call to see if a park will be open? I'd hate to drive hours out to see no access.
They haven't decided yet, but I'm sure they'll post the list on their site by May 5.

drm

Post by drm » April 30th, 2020, 1:21 pm

I saw a quote from a Skamania County commissioner. He said that they plan to take it slow, that more remote and less popular areas would open first. I wouldn't expect Dog Mtn to open for this year's flower display, or Beacon Rock SP soon, but wouldn't be surprised if parts of Gifford Pinchot in the northern parts of the county open fairly soon. Indian Heaven trailheads might be melting out soon. Maybe they will start there. But the impetus among some conservatives to open fast does not seem to hold sway on that county commission.

burnside

Post by burnside » May 1st, 2020, 6:29 am

Thanks for finding that info!

Not surprised about Dog and Beacon Rock not being open soon. I'm wondering if Table Mountain might open up this month.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 2nd, 2020, 3:50 pm

List of WA parks opening and not opening May 5
https://parks.state.wa.us/1181/Parks-opening