Advisory panel recommends privatizing National Park campgrounds

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Bosterson

Advisory panel recommends privatizing National Park campgrounds

Post by Bosterson » October 16th, 2019, 3:35 pm

An advisory panel appointed by Trump's first Secretary of the Interior, Ryan Zinke, has recommended privatizing National Parks campgrounds, allowing food trucks in and setting up WiFi at campgrounds while also reducing benefits to seniors, according to the panel's memo.
https://www.ecowatch.com/trump-panel-na ... 90773.html

Seems like it's time to ring up your Congresspersons. One of the proposals in the memo would be to reduce the applicability of the senior 50% discount, as well as have blackout periods for the discount during high season.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Aimless

Re: Advisory panel recommends privatizing National Park campgrounds

Post by Aimless » October 16th, 2019, 4:25 pm

It should be obvious that we are not maximizing the profit potential of these publically-owned parks and the public is not paying nearly enough for the great privilege of visiting their public lands. I mean, face it, these parks are natural treasures and they could be an absolute goldmine for us if we played our cards right. Of course, we'll need to bring in new management, some MBAs who know about peak time premiums and rewards programs for big spenders and stuff like that - and we'll need to incentivize them properly to apply their expertise. For example, CEO salary and compensation should be $5 million, at least. But once the theme parks get up and running the whole NPS should triple its revenues easily, even after the concessionaires take their 80% of the cut. ;)

Water

Post by Water » October 16th, 2019, 8:30 pm

removed
Last edited by Water on May 6th, 2020, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 17th, 2019, 5:05 am

just sell off the national parks, that could make some money </sarcasm>

drm

Post by drm » October 17th, 2019, 8:04 am

Aimless wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 4:25 pm
It should be obvious that we are not maximizing the profit potential of these publically-owned parks . . .
The solution is obvious, every one needs a Trump Tower!

Meanwhile, that lifetime senior pass is really a very good deal, so I figure they will stop offering it just as I'm getting close to being able to get one.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 17th, 2019, 8:59 am

A big part of the reason why this sort of proposal is even possible involves the public's changing ideas about what they want from our national parks. When I was a kid (60 years ago) our family went to Rocky Mountain NP for a week, staying in a very rustic cabin. There were lots of ranger-led activities--overall it was a lot like boy scout camp for families. Now folks want to see seven national parks in seven days, stay in motel-like accommodations with fast food restaurants, and have cell service everywhere.

Corporate greed is definitely a worry, but it is hard to resist when a lot of people seem to want what the corporations are selling.

I've been enjoying a lifetime senior pass for eight years, and hope to continue to do so. But I avoid peak periods at the parks anyway.