volcano monitoring equipment coming to wilderness slopes of Mt Hood

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Aimless

Re: volcano monitoring equipment coming to wilderness slopes of Mt Hood

Post by Aimless » September 11th, 2019, 7:12 pm

the ski industry would howl, and the U$F$ would have their back

And the present administration would have the USFS's back. The buck stops there.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 11th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Chip Down wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 6:50 pm
I didn't expect to see The New York Times and The Guardian so in sync. Maybe those two outlets were cherry picked to prove a point, or maybe that's representative of how homogeneous the infotainment industry is.
I think of the NYT and The Guardian as two relatively trustworthy sources that are actually engaging in real journalism, so I thought it was weird that they included both of them. They should have replaced one of those with Fox or CNN or something similarly silly.

Charley

Post by Charley » September 12th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Water wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:45 pm
This does come as a surprise but doesn't really chap me.

And isn't it USGS that holds responsibility? If the FS was in charge you would only ever see the updated seismic logs after the volcano blew.. and even then they'd prolly lose the data. Hood would be rumbling and people of Portland would feel it, vulcanologists would be calling the zigzag station asking for the data: [in late August] "well, I haven't hiked the Yocum trail before but you should be prepared for snow to block your way. It's rated difficult."
:lol:
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Charley

Post by Charley » September 12th, 2019, 1:57 pm

ThePortlandeer wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 12:39 pm
In a vacuum it's probably not a big deal as an isolated improvement in an area designated as wilderness. However, given the government's recent track record on why certain things "need" to be done (e.g. why Alabama needed a hurricane warning, why wind turbines will cause cancer, why we don't have to worry about climate change), it seems like an awful slippery slope to use grant the government license to use "public safety" as a reason to violate a basic tenet of the wilderness act.
After reading the article, I'm pretty sure that the impetus for the monitoring stations comes from career scientists at the USGS, not political appointees. So, while I agree that it makes sense to analyze all of the Administration's actions critically, I think this seismic monitoring passes the smell test: it is probably a good idea and not a sheep in wolf's clothing aimed at weakening our Wilderness protection laws.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 13th, 2019, 7:31 am

adamschneider wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:41 pm
I think of the NYT and The Guardian as two relatively trustworthy sources that are actually engaging in real journalism, so I thought it was weird that they included both of them. They should have replaced one of those with Fox or CNN or something similarly silly.
Maybe they didn't want the graphic to be so easily dismissed. Maybe you should be more skeptical of these sources.

Guy

Post by Guy » September 13th, 2019, 9:17 am

Water wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:45 pm
....If the FS was in charge you would only ever see the updated seismic logs after the volcano blew.. and even then they'd prolly lose the data. Hood would be rumbling and people of Portland would feel it, vulcanologists would be calling the zigzag station asking for the data: [in late August] "well, I haven't hiked the Yocum trail before but you should be prepared for snow to block your way. It's rated difficult."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

markesc

Post by markesc » September 16th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Strange coincidence, I just found an old USGS marker in the langile area from my recent post. It looked like your every day elevation marking that's hammered into a rock, but this one stated it was specific for earthquake studies. I'm guessing it's from an old style survey system and not what may be the same things that dot the s. side of St. Helens.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 16th, 2019, 6:29 pm

markesc wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 6:10 pm
Strange coincidence, I just found an old USGS marker in the langile area from my recent post. It looked like your every day elevation marking that's hammered into a rock, but this one stated it was specific for earthquake studies. I'm guessing it's from an old style survey system and not what may be the same things that dot the s. side of St. Helens.
There are a few in surprisingly close proximity up there. I found one much higher and west of your location.
Attachments
20190803_122428.jpg

markesc

Post by markesc » September 18th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Chip Down wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 6:29 pm
markesc wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 6:10 pm
There are a few in surprisingly close proximity up there. I found one much higher and west of your location.
Yeap that was the one! I wonder how much use they actually got out of 'em?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 22nd, 2019, 5:40 pm

Yesterday in Paradise Park I spotted a pin pounded into a crack. Wondered what was up. Scouted around a bit and found a benchmark. Looks like 1983 was a busy year.
Attachments
20190921_125733.jpg
20190921_125720.jpg