Missing hiker's body found in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Crusak

Missing hiker's body found in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness

Post by Crusak » September 4th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kelkev

Re: Missing hiker's body found in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness

Post by kelkev » September 5th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I can't imagine being the father waiting at the trailhead to meet the searchers who brought the body off the slopes of Mt. Jefferson. Yes, closure, but wow. My heart goes out to the family.

Brings back memories, I was hiking in Jefferson Park after the official search had been called off but on a day that the privately hired helicopter was flying over the Park and above the slopes of Mt. Jefferson.

Sadly, another Jefferson Park hiker remains missing from 2012, Ronald Ohm.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Water

Post by Water » September 5th, 2019, 9:52 pm

I still think about Mr. Ohm..it was indicated to me privately there might be more to that story than what has been publicly released.

I cannot imagine the father's mixed grief and relief..or even what his emotions may be. Similar to the climbers that succumbed on the Reid in early December 2009 (a few days after I'd been there, and proverbially got my ass handed to me on a 14hr day with temps around 7 and winds gusting to 40)..a diligent parent with a trained telescope spotted their child's body a few years later at the end of August. The anguish...

I'm curious, having been up the North side of Jeff... If this poor young man ventured to a very area I've been at a camp spot at the northern end of the Whitewater glacier, and had bad luck or took a risk with ultimate consequences?
Just would like to know the location for my own knowledge. Similar to the poor fellow who tumbled in November a few years back with his wife. One of the most heart wrenching stories you'll ever read.
Feel Free to Feel Free

kelkev

Post by kelkev » September 7th, 2019, 5:59 am

Water wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:52 pm
I still think about Mr. Ohm..it was indicated to me privately there might be more to that story than what has been publicly released.
I still think about Mr. Ohm as well. I met a friend of his on the Whitewater Trail shortly after the official search had ended, he was doing his own searches in his spare time. I had the odd feeling that there was more to the story as well.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir