PCT hiker killed by falling tree on Mt Adams

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
drm

PCT hiker killed by falling tree on Mt Adams

Post by drm » August 30th, 2019, 9:23 am

Occurred on the section above FR 23. Friends apparently had a cell signal, but by the time help arrived, it was too late. He was a German visiting the country to hike the PCT.

https://www.kptv.com/news/deputies-germ ... b3ffc.html

Many other news sites have stories. What a freak accident to have a tree fall on you while hiking. Sometimes it happens overnight, but it is really rare while hiking. All of our condolences to friends and family.

adamschneider

Re: PCT hiker killed by falling tree on Mt Adams

Post by adamschneider » August 30th, 2019, 9:47 am

Wow, that's crazy to have it happen in broad daylight. It must have fallen silently.

I don't think this is in the burned area; anyone recognize that bridge?

drm

Post by drm » August 30th, 2019, 10:08 am

The newspaper report said it was 1.5 miles north of the road, but I think the only bridge there is maybe a quarter mile up from the trailhead, next to a large campsite. It looks like that one - based on my not-so-reliable memory. It's not in a burned area, that is quite a ways up higher.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 30th, 2019, 10:20 am

The PCT crosses FR 23 about 1.5 miles before that bridge, but the nearest PCT trailhead is on a spur road 521, just off 23, and from there it is maybe a quarter mile to the bridge. I've crossed that bridge a good dozen times myself going both directions.

drm

Post by drm » August 30th, 2019, 10:41 am

Ahhh - right. It's 1.5 miles from where the PCT crosses 23, not straight line distance from the road.