Rescued hiker on Mt. Defiance

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Re: Rescued hiker on Mt. Defiance

Post by retired jerry » February 14th, 2019, 3:23 pm

ahhh... that makes sense

I've gotten lost off of trail covered by snow before

drm

Post by drm » February 15th, 2019, 7:37 am

But it does get to that big issue when finding your own way - when do you turn around to go back and find whatever route you really want, or do you just push forward and hope to make it through.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 15th, 2019, 7:55 am

Yeah, as you're hiking out constantly look around to see landmarks to find your way back and turn around when warranted

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » February 19th, 2019, 1:32 pm

In all this discussion about that non-existent trail, I went looking a bit closer at the LiDAR of that area and saw this old road/trail system I've never heard discussed. You can see it east of the trail (pink line). Is there discussion about it but I just don't know what people call that area?
1.jpg
- Michael

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 19th, 2019, 1:39 pm

That road is the blue line in this TR. Plenty of people have done extensive explorations of the old logging roads that cover the Defiance area, but they don't show up on maps (and shouldn't!) so it's unlikely that played any role in the lost hiker.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » February 19th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I wouldn't think that had anything to do with her getting lost, this is just the latest thread with discussions about that trail. I'm not overly fond of walking roads either so I'm not likely to explore this area much. But boy those spring photos in that TR look really nice. Can't wait for warmer weather.
- Michael

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 19th, 2019, 2:36 pm

I like walking roads, as long as there aren't cars driving by

Easier to avoid brush with ticks hanging on it

Since it's wider, if a tree falls, there's more room to get around it

They should allow people to use existing roads. If they can't afford to maintain it they should just let it go but allow people to use it.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 19th, 2019, 2:44 pm

retired jerry wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 2:36 pm
They should allow people to use existing roads. If they can't afford to maintain it they should just let it go but allow people to use it.
Not sure if you're just making commentary about roads in general? The "road" Michael is referring to is an old logging road that cuts across the Defiance hillside that's been abandoned for 50 years, and anyone can walk on it if they feel like climbing over 50 years of blowdown...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 19th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

People should be allowed to use the road, but if it the Forest Service chooses not to maintain it and it becomes impassable, so be it.

I used to walk the road on Mt Hood that goes past Riley campground. But they decommissioned it at great expense. They should have just let it be. If there were specific culverts that were causing an environmental risk, then just take them out.

Just my opinion

arlohike

Post by arlohike » February 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm

retired jerry wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 7:10 am
when I'm by myself I'm more careful. With other person(s) we will more likely to attempt something riskier. That cancels out the benefit of one person going out to get help or assist. (rationalization of someone that goes by themselves?)
I've experienced that, too, so I don't think it's just a rationalization!
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)