Permits coming to the Gorge? Mt Hood?

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
cunningkeith

Re: Permits coming to the Gorge? Mt Hood?

Post by cunningkeith » December 8th, 2018, 1:45 pm

romann wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:25 pm
I heard there's a similar (to what they propose) limit system on trails in California's Sierras. But they have what, 39+ million people. And they get tourists from all over the country.
I've pulled permits in the Sierra, and there is another key difference between their system and the one that is proposed here: in the Sierra, they make you go to the ranger station and PHYSICALLY GET your permit; all "reservations" are canceled the morning of your hike date if you don't go to the ranger station. This is a great solution for the problem of people reserving all the available slots and then not actually using their reservation. Here, with the FS currently using an entirely online system for Obsidian and Pamelia, many people just reserve, take the slots, and then don't actually use the permits. This problem will be multiplied enormously if the FS goes with the same online-only system for the entire wilderness.

BigBear

Re: Permits coming to the Gorge? Mt Hood?

Post by BigBear » December 11th, 2018, 9:37 am

So, they're going to charge you for driving (I-5 and I-205 plan went to the feds)...
They're going to charge you to park...
this is in addition to the illegal (sorry, unambiguously prohibited) NW Forest Pass...
and with Dog Mountain, they're going to charge you to hike.

So, what happened to these "public" lands and the right to assemble? Everyone has their hand out. Sounds like privatization to me. Hikers unite and break the regulations that bind you!