Visit the Central Cascades while you still can...

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Re: Visit the Central Cascades while you still can...

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2019, 8:59 am

Now, if you could plant the idea in the interior department that Obama favors this proposed system, then it would immediately be over-ruled :)

Charley

Post by Charley » July 19th, 2019, 11:30 am

retired jerry wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 8:59 am
Now, if you could plant the idea in the interior department that Obama favors this proposed system, then it would immediately be over-ruled :)
Honestly, that's a great idea. If we could get news of this Obama-era-holdover's "public lands heist" onto Fox and Friends, it'd be over in a flash. I don't think the Administration would be savvy enough to realize what happened.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

markesc

Post by markesc » July 27th, 2019, 6:51 am

BigBear wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 8:44 am
The comment period is complete BS. The do it because they have to, not because they even remotely care about the public. The decision has already been made.

I learned this many a year ago when the first Catherine Creek usage proposal was being discussed. There was a comment period for the public to discuss the merits of various proposals. I kid you not, it was the next day or two that USFS had a printed Proposal-X (can't remember the exact number, but it was not one open for public consideration) in printed form for public distribution. It had been created ahead of the public input and they could barely contain themselves in handing it out, much like the punchline to a joke.

Since then, i have only provided written comment, fully knowing USFS has already made up its mind. It feels good to put my ideas into writing, and I am secure in knowing it will go straight to the recycling bin. But that's the way of the world. If you want your opinions heard, you gotta write a check. A big check, and it needs to go high up the totem pole.

How's that for disenchantment with the system.
Simple question: Who is the beneficiary of the divide among the people?