Visit the Central Cascades while you still can...

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Guy

Re: Visit the Central Cascades while you still can...

Post by Guy » May 13th, 2019, 1:26 pm

If there is anything I can do to continue to oppose this I will.

I'll also bet money that this will lead to an increase in accidents / rescue on the South Sister and other places. Now even if you live in Portland you can watch the weather forecast right up until the day before drive down that evening and Hike / climb the next day.

Even in July and August there can be days when the weather is too bad to safely climb. Now people just go on another day but what if you are clutching a permit that you had to pay for months in advance and it's your only chance use it or loose it!!

The lack of day access and the ability to not to be able to decide a few days before will make the area nearly impossible for me.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 13th, 2019, 3:12 pm

dmthomas49 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 2:36 pm
The decision is made.... https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 1165219001
Great summary article! Anyone know if the actual decision is online anywhere?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » May 13th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Do I understand it correctly that a group of up to 12 can use one overnight camping permit but day hikers will need one each?

If so that means that only 12 people a day can day can legally hike out of Todd Lake.. It boggles the mind!

I see the South Sister limit is set at 100. however unlike Mt St Helens there is no easy access to the South Sister during the off season making access to the South Sister climb now more restrictive than even Mt. St Helens.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 13th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Guy wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Do I understand it correctly that a group of up to 12 can use one overnight camping permit but day hikers will need one each?
Listen, Guy, no one said this plan wasn't totally asinine. ;) I believe the FS's rationale is that "most groups" aren't that many people, or some such. And there will be fewer overnight permits available than day permits, so the total carrying capacity of the TH is a combination of the two.

Re the SS off season "access," I have no idea what you're talking about - they don't plan to require a permit to ski the Cascade Lakes highway down to Devil's Lake in December! Maybe this is the best plan for wilderness mgmt - close the road 30 miles away from the TH so all the Instagrammers have to take a mule train in to farm their "likes." :lol:

Karl - the final decision documents are available under the Decision tab here.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 13th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Bosterson wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Karl - the final decision documents are available under the Decision tab here.
Thanks, Nat!
Karl

jessbee

Post by jessbee » May 13th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Guy wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:26 pm

I'll also bet money that this will lead to an increase in accidents / rescue on the South Sister and other places. Now even if you live in Portland you can watch the weather forecast right up until the day before drive down that evening and Hike / climb the next day.

Even in July and August there can be days when the weather is too bad to safely climb. Now people just go on another day but what if you are clutching a permit that you had to pay for months in advance and it's your only chance use it or loose it!!
When this objection was raised, the Forest Service basically said this is not their problem :roll:
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Guy

Post by Guy » May 13th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Bosterson wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Guy wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Listen, Guy, no one said this plan wasn't totally asinine. ;) I believe the FS's rationale is that "most groups" aren't that many people, or some such. And there will be fewer overnight permits available than day permits, so the total carrying capacity of the TH is a combination of the two.
Depending on how the USFS brain trust finally role this out a savy group of day hikers might find it more advantageous to get an overnight permit instead!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 14th, 2019, 5:58 am

jessbee wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:35 pm
Guy wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:26 pm
... days when the weather is too bad to safely climb. Now people just go on another day but what if you are clutching a permit that you had to pay for months in advance and it's your only chance use it or loose it!!
When this objection was raised, the Forest Service basically said this is not their problem :roll:
And they do have fully-established precedent there, with the fiasco on Mount St Helens.
Karl

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 15th, 2019, 1:32 pm

It's difficult to believe the Forest Services cares about the environment when it has spent a century of looking the other way when it comes to commercial logging, mining and other businesses which recognize fines are a fraction of the profits.

The permit system will be the end of my hiking on USFS trails. The system is too expensive and the roulette wheel of weather and forest fires in relation tot he day you draw is not sitting well with me. This is what privatization of public lands will look like. You got the money, they got a trail for you. I don't have the money, so I'll have to look elsewhere for my enjoyment.

Shame on the Forest Service.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 15th, 2019, 2:13 pm

I don't think the motivation is the environment, it's to get solitude.

Fewer humans allowed so those lucky ones won't encounter many other humans.

Along the lines of the Wilderness act that says the area should be untrammeled by man or whatever. But the Wilderness act also says a major goal is to allow recreation for humans to experience it.