Missing hiker on the Timberline Trail

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
mjirving

Re: Missing hiker on the Timberline Trail

Post by mjirving » October 18th, 2018, 5:19 am

Yes the lodge is very visible from that junction (assuming it’s not super foggy). A friend of mine sent me this comment last night.

“I saw on the news that his mom is lobbying for signage at that junction and more signage overall for the timberline trail and particularly around the lodge. The forest service didn’t like that suggestion and basically the response was that signage would just make people rely on them when they should only be out there if they are prepared with map, compass, gps, etc”

Mike

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 18th, 2018, 5:34 am

MHNF wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 5:19 am
they should only be out there if they are prepared with map, compass, gps, etc
Tourists from all over the world! Wandering around the area near the lodge? :roll:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 18th, 2018, 6:13 am

Here are two images I just screen-shotted off of Google Earth. The first one represents the general view ahead when walking along the trail as he would have, approaching the climber's trail to the right (red) from the Timberline Trail (green)

[Be sure to click on the images to make them bigger to see the detail]
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 7.14.35 AM.png
This second one is what would be seen if when reaching that point, he stopped and looked to the left. (The buildings aren't 3D in this, so you have to use your imagination a bit since they are flat, but the parking lot is pretty representative) (of course assuming good visibility)
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 7.15.08 AM.png
You obviously can't see the embedded rock pile I mentioned above in an earlier post due to the poor resolution of Google Earth here, but they are right on that point, ahead of the climber's route, so if it were socked in, and you didn't stop and think about it for a second, you could think that it was a dead end and that you should turn right up the climber's route (which is a hard, 90-degree turn on a much less prominent looking trail). The Timberline Trail does continue past the climber's route junction maybe 5-10' before the rocks, so it's not like there is no sign of trail going that direction before the rocks...but it could be considered to be a short spur to a view??? (in his mind)

I wish I had taken a picture!

Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 23rd, 2018, 7:04 am

I went by there a couple days ago. I see a place about half mile from the lodge where a person could get lost in the fog.
mthoodtimb.jpg
The black arrow points to Timberline Lodge.

The thickest solid red line is the trail coming from the south to the lodge.

From the junction with the Timberline Trail, the PCT goes up about a mile, staying on the ridge, until the blue arrow. About 5800 feet elevation.

Then the trail traverses the slope up to about 6000 feet elevation. The trail isn't very distinct there so it would be easy to just continue uphill rather than following the trail (red arrow).

Trail right where it leaves the ridge at 5800:
DSCF2369.JPG
Where the red arrow is, a little further, easy to get off trail and continue going up:
DSCF2370.JPG
DSCF2371.JPG
There's about 0.1 mile of trail where you could get off trail so one sign wouldn't necessarily be enough, but that would help.

Water

Post by Water » October 23rd, 2018, 11:04 am

didn't even think of the silcox elevation lift building. on a foggy day if you were not an expert with the area... could you not just think you aim for that?

if you just followed uphill trying to get there, without descending into a deep canyon, wouldn't it take you where the fella went?
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 23rd, 2018, 11:21 am

yeah, I think he went uphill from that spot, in the direction of Silcox Hut and a couple other small buildings related to the ski lift. They're pretty small compared to the lodge:
DSCF2368.JPG
Sad that he was so close to a warm place.