hiking community fails to embrace fat queer hikers

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Chip Down

Re: hiking community fails to embrace fat queer hikers

Post by Chip Down » May 23rd, 2018, 4:14 pm

Arturo wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 2:11 pm
When I'm descending, and in my usual talkative mood, I use the same old line:
"They lied ... there's no McMenamins up there".
There was, but I didn't like the competition, so I eagle-creeked 'em. ;)

Yep, I'm predicting eagle-creek (lower case, hyphenated) will come to be used as a verb, to burn something down, not necessarily with full malice, but not quite in full innocence either.

Arturo wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 2:11 pm
Conversely, people have asked me "how far to the top" many times as well. They assume I made it to the top and didn't turn around. Should I take offense to that? Nah.
Interesting. Never occurred to that the "how much further" question could be annoying to the person who turned back. (I mean more annoying than the question is in general.)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 23rd, 2018, 7:45 pm

The "how much further" question always annoys me, because once I am headed downhill and back to the trailhead, I am not paying any attention to mileage. There's no reason to. So, unless I know the trail like the back of my hand and have the mileages between each landmark memorized in reverse, I really can't answer accurately, and a making bad guess seems pretty worthless to me.

Conversely, on the way up I am always aware of my estimated speed, the elapsed time, and the total miles to any goal I had in mind when I started, so I generally can estimate "how much further" to within about a quarter mile, so I never need to ask the question of those coming down.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 23rd, 2018, 8:08 pm

Aimless wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 7:45 pm
The "how much further" question always annoys me, because once I am headed downhill and back to the trailhead, I am not paying any attention to mileage. There's no reason to. So, unless I know the trail like the back of my hand and have the mileages between each landmark memorized in reverse, I really can't answer accurately, and a making bad guess seems pretty worthless to me.
Damn I never knew hiking was so complicated...

To be clear if you see me huffing and puffing up or bouncing merrily down the trail feel free to make any inane comments you like, I wont be offended :) Conversely if I make any such comments to you please accept this as my apology in advance :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 23rd, 2018, 8:30 pm

Aimless wrote:
The "how much further" question always annoys me
Don’t you just use the standard, universal hiking answer like I do? “Oh...mile, mile and a half” :lol:

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 24th, 2018, 8:55 am

Guy wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 8:08 pm
Aimless wrote:
The "how much further" question always annoys me...
Damn I never knew hiking was so complicated...

...feel free to make any inane comments you like, I wont be offended :)
Hmmm. I think there's a fairly large difference between being annoyed and being offended. I have often been annoyed by a mosquito, but I have yet to be offended by one.

Greendrake

Post by Greendrake » May 25th, 2018, 5:00 pm

*eyes roll*

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 29th, 2018, 12:33 pm

obera wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 4:37 am
I don't know what spray is. Can you help with a definition?
Pardon the late reply. It's a climber's term for unsolicited "sharing" and it takes many forms, from bragging, to unwanted advice, to simple enthusiasm e.g. "Magic Fingers is a great line; you have to try it." Maybe it's a guy thing, but by my observation recipients are predominantly guys too if only because there are usually more at the crag.