Missing Hiker in Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness Found

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
pcg

Re: Missing Hiker in Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness Found

Post by pcg » November 4th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Another observation on being "lost". My son did a solo trip CW around the Timberline Trail a few weeks ago, in between storms. Somewhere around Lambertson Butte, where it feels very alpine, he was in the zone and burst out into spontaneous song. Immediately he heard someone shouting from below. He shouted back and heard "Help, I'm lost!" He called to the guy to come up to his voice, where he was, on the trail. It took this fellow about 15 minutes to make his way up through the knee-deep snow. When he reached my son, he was shivering uncontrollably, confused, stumbling, and largely incoherent. He was wearing jeans which were soaked from the knee down and had a daypack and light jacket and a bag of nuts.

Long story short my son backtracked with him almost to Cooper Spur until he was in better shape and he was confident the guy could make it on his own to the campground to meet a ride waiting for him. He told my son he had left Timberline Lodge at midnight that morning, going CCW. It was 4:30 in the afternoon when he found him.

Here's the kicker and a testament to what happens when you become hypothermic and/or mentally lost... my son looked at this person's iPhone that was his sole source of navigation. It was working just fine and it displayed a map of the Timberline Trail. On it my son could see this fellow's tracks where he left the trail and then began traveling in circles. This fellow could see this and yet... !?!?!?
Last edited by pcg on November 4th, 2017, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 4th, 2017, 1:42 pm

wow! Lucky for that guy. If he was shivering uncontrolably, and off the trail, it seems likely he would not have otherwise survived.

Did your son continue around the mountain successfully?

pcg

Post by pcg » November 4th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Yes, and IMO this particular event was a great experience for him. I'm happy for both of them that it happened and turned out well. I think it was a great learning experience for all involved.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » November 12th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Probably already impaired to accidentally turn down the Bonanza trail. It turns sharply downhill from a trail that is on top of a ridge. Maybe hypothermic? Bonanza has some tricky to follow spots that someone could have easily slipped/gone off trail from. Glad he survived to tell his story!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 13th, 2017, 5:57 am

Maybe that's an easy mistake?

Good lesson. When you go up a trail and there's a side trail, really focus on it, look backwards at it so you'll remember where to go on the way back.