Starvation Creek State Park: Fake news?

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Chip Down

Starvation Creek State Park: Fake news?

Post by Chip Down » October 14th, 2017, 10:05 pm

On Sept 26, The Oregonian reported
The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department announced Monday that four park areas closed by the Eagle Creek Fire in the gorge have re-opened to the public, though many more remain closed indefinitely.

Rooster Rock State Park, the Portland Women's Forum viewpoint, Starvation Creek State Park and the Dabney recreation area have all re-opened.
Nope. Pulled into the Starvation parking lot and walked eastbound on the paved HCRH trail just enough to verify it was open, then went back to my car to get changed and packed and ready for my hike. When it was just barely getting light, I headed out, but found a barricade and closure sign maybe about 50 yards up the path. Drat. I wonder if somebody was mistaken, or if the park has been closed, opened, closed, etc.

bushwhacker

Re: Starvation Creek State Park: Fake news?

Post by bushwhacker » October 15th, 2017, 5:52 am

You might want to try this link instead.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 560885.pdf

It seems pretty complete but as with most FS communications that start out as a good idea if they don't keep it updated it becomes worthless. Wygant (state trail) appears to be missing but I guess if Mitchell Point (FS trail) is closed one can assume you can't get to Wygant either.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 15th, 2017, 6:35 am

Starvation Creek exit is the only one you can actually park in and use the bathrooms.

Viento and Wygant pull offs are barricaded.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 15th, 2017, 9:06 am

The Oregonian wasn't wrong: if the parking lot is open, then Starvation Creek State Park IS open. (Was the picnic area by Starvation Creek Falls accessible?) But, almost as soon as you leave the parking lot headed west, you're back in MHNF.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 15th, 2017, 9:09 am

I wonder why Mitchell Point Trail is closed. That's five miles east of the fire boundary.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 15th, 2017, 9:14 am

Webfoot - I think it might be closed as they realize how 'easy' it might be to connect into the back of the Defiance area?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 15th, 2017, 9:16 am

Ah, right, I forgot about more capable hikers for a minute there. For me MP itself is a full hike.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 15th, 2017, 9:24 am

Maybe not just hiking but there is quite a network of ATV trails/roads up there too.

Not intending my above comment as a slight, I'm not any where near capable these days myself...

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 15th, 2017, 9:35 am

The Starvation Creek Park is open, but the trails leading away from the park are still closed. Other news articles I've read about the re-opening of various exits off I-84 have been more explicit about making this distinction.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 15th, 2017, 11:03 am

Eric Peterson wrote:Not intending my above comment as a slight, I'm not any where near capable these days myself...
I didn't take it that way at all! :)

Failure of faceless communication again...