Trail Closures

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
donaleen

Trail Closures

Post by donaleen » October 10th, 2017, 5:23 am

On Facebook Gorge Wildfire page I was told by Sara Johnson. Not sure who she is.

https://www.facebook.com/EagleCreekandI ... 1671089682

This is what they are saying about how long before the trails are open:
"Its much less work to protect a point location than a winding trail. Expect at least 4-5 years before other locations open up again as vegetation stabilizes the slopes."

I figure I might need one of these by then. Hope I can find some strong Mazamas to carry me...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uOQpPlp8mE3cfLgw1

justpeachy

Re: Trail Closures

Post by justpeachy » October 10th, 2017, 10:06 am

Not only is it less work to protect one spot than an entire stretch of trail, but the lodge is right along a road with easy access for crews and equipment to protect it. Clearing trees, rocks, and landslide debris from trails that can only be reached by foot requires a heck of a lot more people, labor, time, money, and resources.

drm

Post by drm » October 12th, 2017, 5:36 am

There may be a few specific trails, I'm thinking of Ruckel Creek for example, that could be particularly problematic and might even be officially abandoned. But if they think they are going to keep large portion of the Gorge trail system closed for years, they will need to bring the National Guard in to keep people out. We've all seen many badly burned areas with steep slopes that opened pretty soon after a fire.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 12th, 2017, 6:05 am

They opened Mt Hood and Three Sisters the spring after big fires. Of course there, there's a lot of snow over the winter that prevents most people regardless as opposed to the gorge which can be open all winter, at least lower areas

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 12th, 2017, 8:00 am

retired jerry wrote:They opened Mt Hood and Three Sisters the spring after big fires.
But the trails in the Dollar Lake Fire and Pole Creek Fire areas don't traverse below 45° hillsides in narrow valleys with no escape.