Gorge closure order

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Re: Gorge closure order

Post by retired jerry » January 20th, 2018, 8:42 am

yeah, I saw that

On the landslide risk map someone posted it showed the area around Herman Creek, Nick Eaton ridge wasn't too bad. Area from Eagle Creek to Tanner Creek was severe. I'm hoping they re-open Herman Creek area fairly soon

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 20th, 2018, 12:59 pm

If you want to help rebuild, there are now volunteer opportunities for you! More opportunities to come.

More information and registration: https://www.trailkeepersoforegon.org/ge ... trailwork/

Dates scheduled at this point:

Tuesday, February 6
Sunday, February 11
Tuesday, February 13
Friday, February 16
Tuesday, February 20
Tuesday, February 27

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 20th, 2018, 2:15 pm

will we be able to go to the closed areas? :)

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 20th, 2018, 4:55 pm

retired jerry wrote:will we be able to go to the closed areas? :)
Yes, one small part of it.
You should expect to work in a fire-affected zone over uneven terrain, with many obstacles to climb over and/or remove. While the area is generally flat, without significant potential for slides or rock falls, it is still relatively hazardous so soon after the fire. A detailed safety discussion will be held before work begins.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » January 26th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Guy

Post by Guy » January 26th, 2018, 10:16 pm

MarkInTheDark wrote:Wahtum Lake Campground open... http://katu.com/news/local/mt-hood-nati ... 4538-acres
But don't dare walk down to the lake shore :evil:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 29th, 2018, 9:52 am

This is one of those good news/bad news (or is it fake news?) stories. Yes, 14,000 acres are open, but no you can't enjoy them because its winter and the roads and campgrounds could be snowbound on any given day, so come back in May when the mosquitoes are thriving or later in the summer if you really want to have a pleasant experience.

I'll be more excited when the eastern half of the closure area opens - you know, the part that didn't actually burn.

As far as Eagle Creek, I had already planned not to return after the Tish Creek Bridge got leveled 2 years ago and then again when the Metlako Viewpoint collapsed in December 2016. It was a good run (110 years of the trail, 30 years and about 80 hikes for me). The story I read last week is talking 5 years of trail closures.

I wonder if this long term closure is USFS way of getting the public to buy into the limited entry proposal for the Willamette NF by getting us to accept ANYTHING.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » February 6th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Just saw a report on PCToregon 2/5 says, "It is currently estimated that the PCT and Herman Creek Trail will remain closed between Wahtum Lake and Cascade Locks until mid-summer; the Eagle Creek Trail is expected to remain closed for the duration of 2018."

http://www.pctoregon.com/what-to-expect ... -pct-2018/