Two 19-year old women die on Timberline Trail

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
xrp

Two 19-year old women die on Timberline Trail

Post by xrp » August 14th, 2017, 3:45 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... incart_std

Very sad.

I wonder where in the PP area this happened?

adamschneider

Re: Two 19-year old women die on Timberline Trail

Post by adamschneider » August 14th, 2017, 3:56 pm

This is weird. How often do TWO people fall to their deaths at the same time?

"Six miles northwest of Timberline Lodge" — assuming they mean trail miles — would be near the north end of Paradise Park. That's not very rugged terrain. Maybe it wasn't quite so far northwest... near one of the waterfalls on the lower trail, maybe?

xrp

Post by xrp » August 14th, 2017, 4:59 pm

adamschneider wrote:This is weird. How often do TWO people fall to their deaths at the same time?

"Six miles northwest of Timberline Lodge" — assuming they mean trail miles — would be near the north end of Paradise Park. That's not very rugged terrain. Maybe it wasn't quite so far northwest... near one of the waterfalls on the lower trail, maybe?
That struck me as odd also. The only dangerous part I can think of between Timberline Lodge and PP would be at that overlook before you descend into the Zigzag Canyon.

So, I'm thinking one of them slipped and the other tried to help and both went down in a bad way. :(

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 14th, 2017, 6:13 pm

I read on another thread that they were found at the base of Ramona Falls. But that does not make sense to me.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

xrp

Post by xrp » August 15th, 2017, 5:13 am

Map at OregonLive.com indicates this happened around Lost Creek.

Guy

Post by Guy » August 15th, 2017, 5:31 am

xrp wrote:Map at OregonLive.com indicates this happened around Lost Creek.
Yeah, if the mileage reported is correct then the only places I can think of are Rushing Water Creek that falls from Paradise Park to the PCT trail.

Or they scrambled up the sides or fell from the top of Lost Creek Falls.

But then these stories rarely have the correct facts when it comes to location.

The usual uninformed nonsense in the comments.

Very Sad :(
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

drm

Post by drm » August 15th, 2017, 7:18 am

adamschneider wrote:This is weird. How often do TWO people fall to their deaths at the same time?
One person slips to a precarious position and the other tried to help and gets herself in a precarious position and then both fall. I saw this on the news and assumed that they went to one of the viewpoints next to the trail where it is overlooking that gorge while descending to Rushing Water.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 15th, 2017, 7:20 am

Today's Oregonian article includes a map. It was the waterfall on Lost Creek. They were camped at the top and fell to the bottom.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 15th, 2017, 5:15 pm

When I was a kid (14 years old), a classmate of mine slipped at the top of a waterfall, scrabbled around and yelled for help. His uncle dashed to the rescue and they both went over the edge and perished . . . . (I was not at the scene, but that's how it was described to me).

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 18th, 2017, 5:41 am

adamschneider wrote:Today's Oregonian article includes a map. It was the waterfall on Lost Creek. They were camped at the top and fell to the bottom.
The Google map they published shows them being found where Lost Creek crosses the PCT, not up above on the Paradise loop. I've not been through there as often... Is there even another falls down there?
    Click for interactive map.
Article: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... ly_fe.html
Karl
Back on the trail, again...