Car clouting story of the day

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
squidvicious

Car clouting story of the day

Post by squidvicious » August 2nd, 2017, 10:53 am

You've probably already seen this one, but
http://katu.com/news/local/thieves-pry- ... -trailhead

As if smashing windows and stealing stuff wasn't enough, they absolutely destroyed that car's trunk. I've never heard of anything that aggressive before, and hope it isn't a trend. Also disheartened by the young woman whose car was empty but got broken into anyway. I always figured with such good pickings from people leaving stuff out or publicly shifting everything to the trunk, thieves wouldn't bother with the risk of breaking into an apparently empty car just on spec. How depressing to be wrong about that.

The citizen patrol they featured in the story was also new to me. On all my trips in the gorge, I can't remember ever encountering such a thing.

The "I'm aware" signs seem like a good idea in theory, but in practice I'd worry they'd break out your window just for spite. Leaving the glove box and console open and empty seems like a more passive, less antagonistic way to convey the same thing. But then that assumes they're even looking in before they smash.

cfm

Re: Car clouting story of the day

Post by cfm » August 2nd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Which trailhead is this? The report is from Corbett OR, but says it's a trailhead in Washington. The text makes it sound likte the gorge. The person said it was a great hike to Goat Lake. The only Goat Lakes I can think of are not in the gorge.... one up in the Clackamas, one way high in the Olympics and of course Goat Rocks, I'm sure there are more, but not near Corbett.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » August 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm

The car pictured was in WA.
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-repor ... 7512882292

It's there because that's the scary showy bit to get your attention and make this not just another car clouting story, which hardly counts as news anymore (it worked).

The gorge bits are there because that's still the only area 99% of their viewers know or care about.

Corbett is just the dateline on the story, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anything, really.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 2nd, 2017, 7:47 pm

Mountain Loop Highway is the car clouting capital of the Northwest. I wouldn't leave my car at any but the most popular trailheads up there... and even then I'd worry. Too bad, because those mountains are amazing.

You'd think Snohomish County would try a little harder to clean up their reputation... or maybe they don't care because most people are just hiking and/or dispersed camping and don't contribute much to the local economy anyway.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 2nd, 2017, 9:02 pm

I can't see that pried-open trunk without telling about the time I returned to the Herman Creek TH to find somebody had tried to pry my Outback's driver door open. Unable to open my mangled door, I went around to the passenger side to find it had been successfully pried open. (The shoddy repair work done at the body shop was nearly as criminal.)

Anyway, the video briefly addressed the strategy of leaving your doors unlocked. I bet that could be a multi-page discussion, if somebody wants to start it (maybe it's been done). I also wonder if it might be helpful to give your vehicle the appearance it's already been rummaged through.

I chuckled at the guy who said he locks stuff in his glovebox. I always leave mine open, to show there's nothing of value in there. Although I do like the idea of keeping an angry wolverine closed up in my glovebox. ;)

Guy

Post by Guy » August 3rd, 2017, 7:26 am

Chip Down wrote:
I chuckled at the guy who said he locks stuff in his glovebox. I always leave mine open, to show there's nothing of value in there. Although I do like the idea of keeping an angry wolverine closed up in my glovebox. ;)
Glovebox Killer Bees now that would be an option :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 10th, 2017, 11:03 am

I want a trunk monkey. Smash and drag.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 10th, 2017, 11:16 am

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 10th, 2017, 11:39 am

They said bad guys see people putting valuables in trunk. Wait until the people walk away. Then break into trunk.

If that's so, it would be better to put any valuables in trunk away from the trailhead.