Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Webfoot

Re: Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Post by Webfoot » September 2nd, 2017, 10:49 pm

squidvicious wrote:Feel for the people who just figured they were going for a little walk and a swim and now have to hike out via Wahtum Lake.
I surely do. I am not physically capable of that hike; I wonder what would be done with me if I were there.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 3rd, 2017, 8:37 am

Webfoot wrote:
squidvicious wrote:Feel for the people who just figured they were going for a little walk and a swim and now have to hike out via Wahtum Lake.
I surely do. I am not physically capable of that hike; I wonder what would be done with me if I were there.
I think SAR was prepared to do helicopter evacs of people that just can't make it. Luckily there's a day of light winds today too.

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » September 3rd, 2017, 1:57 pm

squidvicious wrote:Tell me there's not someone stupid enough to really be setting off fireworks in the woods
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... _fire.html

I can honestly tell you that I lived in the Gorge for more than 15 years and have neighbors who shoot off illegal fireworks all the time at large parties at their property near Wind Mountain (yes, in the woods). Many people from the community attend these events including the County Commissioners. Nothing is said about it, nobody seems to care. I've contacted the neighbor and asked them to STOP, it got much worse after that. Here's a video from this summer...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WuCn112S3bdSnudh2

I made many reports to the Skamania County Sheriff with no response (or very little). Sherrif doesn't care, the community doesn't care. I've reported these violations to the Forest Service, Friends of the Gorge and they refuse to get involved.

I now live in Canada, problem solved for me. I feel bad for all the people who now pay the price for the careless act of some idiot and the enforcement that doesn't do anything to prevent these type of crimes.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

windmtnpete

Latest on Eagle Creek Wildfire

Post by windmtnpete » September 3rd, 2017, 5:02 pm

Seems they have found the cause....

http://katu.com/news/local/police-firew ... mbia-gorge

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... _fire.html

If the media was really interested in illegal fireworks in the Gorge, perhaps they need to do some more investigation? Hint: check the records at Skamania County Sheriff around June 21, 2016 for the report on illegal fireworks complaint at Wind Mountain. For years my neighbor has been shooting off huge illegal fireworks at summer parties next to my property. County Commissioners enjoy this entertainment. I have made the attempt to sit down and talk with the neighbors (a letter) in which they rejected and they continue to make hand gestures suggesting I go away (as they drive down my property).

I have talked to the Forest Service, Friends of the Gorge, and several other organizations. Nobody seems to care.

You know, I find it interesting how this culture works in such a dysfunctional way and the fact that some people are treated so well when they (in fact) are criminals and wrong doers.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 4th, 2017, 5:31 am

I wonder why people didn't go up the Eagle Benson trail and over to Herman Creek trailhead

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 4th, 2017, 6:07 am

retired jerry wrote:I wonder why people didn't go up the Eagle Benson trail and over to Herman Creek trailhead
That's like 13 miles from Tunnel Falls; Wahtum Lake is only 7.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 4th, 2017, 6:32 am

that's a good reason :)

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » September 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

I saw an interview with one of the people after they got out. It sounded even worse than I imagined: somehow someone finally got a sketchy cell connection. The FS told them to start walking and someone would meet them at High Bridge. But when they got there there was no one there, and they had to break through the locked gates themselves. Not sure where they finally did meet up with the one FS person or when they started out, but most of this was in the dark--he said by the light their cell phones. 153 people, with at least two toddlers along (they wanted to get the little ones out by helicopter but couldn't get to them, according to OPB). I can't begin to imagine doing that route in the dark. Or really doing that route at all when you're completely unprepared and can't breathe. That evacuation was just incredible.

markesc

Post by markesc » September 4th, 2017, 7:50 am

Wow the whole thing is actually scary if you think about the Yacolt burn as M. Nelson mentioned on Fox12.

Evidently that one tookout prettymuch the entire washington side of the gorge in 36 hours because of a strong east wind.

Today the winds shift, lets hope it doesn't get too bad before the westerly push on Weds.

Sounds like it was a juvenile(s) with some type of fireworks. I'm going to go with something either homemade or a larger m-80 style based on a description from one hiker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_RikIszL4s

I foresee the gorge becoming a limited entry situation eventually...

Chazz

Post by Chazz » September 4th, 2017, 9:02 am

I enjoy fireworks but I'd just as soon seem them banned to all but those with state permits to purchase and use them, like a drivers license. And heavy fines for those caught in possession without a permit. There is just too much risk during the summers now and too many bone-headed idiots.

The costs of wildfires (man-hours, government resources, and lost forest habitat) has been staggering this year.