Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
squidvicious

Re: Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Post by squidvicious » September 12th, 2017, 8:01 am

Lurch wrote:Well the video is down now.... Any chance someone who saw it could share which trail he was on? ;)
Someone reposted for evidence (at least I hope this is the same, and not another one!): https://youtu.be/jA_fiGffKLI

Because entering the closed area wasn't enough, they also decided to fly a drone in an ongoing fire fighting operation.
justpeachy wrote:Not anonymous. Doesn't seem like a good idea to post a video of oneself hiking on a closed trail that burned less than a week ago.
Especially when you have a website under that same nick that includes your real name http://www.misguidedidiot.com/

Hi, Wes Griffin. You're really bad at covert operations.
Last edited by squidvicious on September 12th, 2017, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 12th, 2017, 8:12 am

It looks like the area will be okay after. Different in places. Maybe a few trails will have to be closed. Maybe some places better because of better views.

There was a fire several years ago that burned some of the Angel's Rest trail that made the views better. And it's more natural to have occasional burns.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » September 12th, 2017, 8:36 am

squidvicious wrote:Hi, Wes Griffin. You're really bad at covert operations.
Awesome thanks!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 12th, 2017, 11:09 am

Lurch wrote:
Awesome thanks!
I snagged his home page and contact page, although they don't say much — other than "Portland, OR."

Is someone already reporting this to Law Enforcement for sure? No sense in everyone doing it.

pcg

Post by pcg » September 12th, 2017, 11:13 am

Lurch wrote: It originated below punchbowl, not at punchbowl.
Here's the beginning...
https://www.facebook.com/katunews/video ... nref=story
Last edited by pcg on September 12th, 2017, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christminster

Post by Christminster » September 12th, 2017, 11:27 am

There's an old fire zone on the Eagle-Benson trail, where a nice view was opened up. It's the section I call "the shitty part". Brambles constantly grab at your clothes, you have to climb over log after log, and the sun beats down.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » September 12th, 2017, 1:15 pm

adamschneider wrote:
Lurch wrote:
Awesome thanks!
I snagged his home page and contact page, although they don't say much — other than "Portland, OR."

Is someone already reporting this to Law Enforcement for sure? No sense in everyone doing it.
Already been done.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 12th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Lurch wrote:
adamschneider wrote:Is someone already reporting this to Law Enforcement for sure? No sense in everyone doing it.
Already been done.
Sweet, keep us posted.

drm

Post by drm » September 12th, 2017, 1:34 pm

I expect that there will be replanting - people don't want to wait for natural regrowth. How deep that will get into the wilderness I can't say. I would also assume that logged out areas from a century ago were probably replanted too, with the assumption they would be logged again. I think Oregon has laws now requiring replanting after logging. Maybe those laws didn't exist then, but loggers aren't against replanting.

As far as salvage logging goes, there is some evidence that it lessens fire intensity if the same area burns again, but this is all very controversial, especially since what the loggers want to take and what best serves fire protection are not necessarily the same thing. I know that the Yakama did very intensive salvage logging after the Cougar Creek fire there recently, but that was more straight fiscal issues as the burned timber was a primary source of revenue for them, so they were salvaging their budget.

I've seen some areas around here where the mopping up operation for right after rains put the fires out included fixing trails so they could reopen before winter hit. I could imagine that for some of the fringe areas in this fire that didn't burn as intensively and where slide dangers are lower, especially if the hoped for system next week does deliver on soaking rains. Trying to keep the entire southern side of the Gorge from Troutdale to Hood River closed until Spring strikes me as kind of unlikely.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 12th, 2017, 3:44 pm

Jaw-dropping (happy dance?) photo of the day...?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...