Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Guy

Re: Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Post by Guy » September 12th, 2017, 4:14 pm

adamschneider wrote: Well, his username IS "MisguidedIdiot."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » September 12th, 2017, 4:36 pm

bushwhacker wrote:Looks like someone just had to get their three minutes and seven seconds of fame: https://youtu.be/yADzmchCsOk
What I found even more troubling then trespassing in that video was him launching a drone from the top of Angles Rest. From all I have heard flying drones during a fire fighting operation is a really bad idea.

Charley

Post by Charley » September 12th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I heard three times on the radio today that, as the fire continues, it goes back to burn previously spared areas. So, those surviving tree islands we've hoped for (and rejoiced at seeing in photos) may get burnt, yet.

There's no plan for firefighters to try to stop the fire, either. Pray for rain!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » September 12th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Christminster wrote:There's an old fire zone on the Eagle-Benson trail, where a nice view was opened up. It's the section I call "the shitty part". Brambles constantly grab at your clothes, you have to climb over log after log, and the sun beats down.
I don't hike as much for the views as for the trees, so that's a bummer.

Even more of a bummer is the talk of trails not reopening until spring. I do 99% of my hiking in the winter, and I missed a lot of my favorites last year due to the heavy snows. So I'm eager to find out what will be open and closed this winter.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 12th, 2017, 5:39 pm

squidvicious wrote:
Lurch wrote:Well the video is down now.... Any chance someone who saw it could share which trail he was on? ;)
Someone reposted for evidence (at least I hope this is the same, and not another one!): https://youtu.be/jA_fiGffKLI
Andddd... the reposted video was taken down because of a copyright claim by the original guy! :roll:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 12th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Bosterson wrote:
squidvicious wrote:
Lurch wrote:Well the video is down now.... Any chance someone who saw it could share which trail he was on? ;)
Someone reposted for evidence (at least I hope this is the same, and not another one!): https://youtu.be/jA_fiGffKLI
Andddd... the reposted video was taken down because of a copyright claim by the original guy! :roll:
That's irony for you.

Turns out the Oregonian is actually exchanging emails with the Misguided Idiot: http://www.oregonlive.com/wildfires/ind ... out_o.html

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 12th, 2017, 5:56 pm

The Oregonian wrote:The other issue is Griffin's use of a drone at the top of Angels Rest. According to the Federal Aviation Administration, firefighting aircraft have to land if any unauthorized drones are seen near a fire. That could be deemed an interference with the effort to fight a fire, which is illegal under regulations established by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
In addition to banning fireworks, can we also just agree to ban all drones? Seriously.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 12th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Photo posted on KOIN Twitter - Hood River Sheriff did a flyover. I believe what we're seeing is Nick Eaton Ridge on the left and the PCT edge of the Benson on the right. This matches up with the current fire boundary overlay, showing patches burning on the south-facing aspect of the PCT ridge off the Benson. It doesn't appear to have crossed Herman Creek yet, but surely it's trying...

Guy

Post by Guy » September 12th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Bosterson wrote:
Too little too late! Channel 12 news did a story on it this evening and showed part of it. Also interviewed over the phone
Nathan Zaremskiy who reposted it. Also said the Forest Service was talking to the Sheriffs office about it.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 12th, 2017, 6:50 pm

More bad news-Herman Creek drainage is afire.

I went up the Gorge as far as a few miles east of Stevenson today after a nice hike in the area of Archer. From there, I could see a huge smoke plume to the east and had to check it out.

Hopefully, the weather forecast for rain this weekend will come to pass
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller