Deschutes & Willamette NF propose new limited entry

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Re: Deschutes & Willamette NF propose new limited entry

Post by retired jerry » June 6th, 2017, 5:00 am

Build more trailheads and trails

That's not an easy answer because it costs money

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 6th, 2017, 6:14 am

it also brings a greater number of irresponsible hikers creating problems
Many people just don't know any better. There needs to be more education, but there are almost no boots-on-the-ground rangers on the trail doing that in national forests. And the "hikers educating fellow hikers" model doesn't always work so well. I usually get "f*** off" or "mind your own business" for my troubles.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 6th, 2017, 7:20 am

I was hiking somewhere and some young male hikers were cutting switchbacks to impress some young female hikers. I told them cutting switchbacks causes erosion. The young female hikers were embarrassed. The young male hikers were frustrated at not accomplishing their goal and quit cutting switchbacks.

At least that was my impression. At least they didn't swear at me :)

drm

Post by drm » June 7th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Mt Adams South Climb is another one that could get limited some day. I don't think it is in any way imminent, but with 500 people going up there per day on nice weekend days in the climbing season, you could say it has already passed it's carrying capacity.

The solutions are to change your work schedule (or retire or win the lottery or rob a bank and don't get caught) so you can go on weekdays. Or move somewhere with a low population base. There is no shortage of uncrowded wilderness in western North America. It just doesn't happen to be within 100 miles of Portland or Seattle, unless you like bushwhacking.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 7th, 2017, 8:55 pm

drm wrote:Mt Adams South Climb is another one that could get limited some day.
Hopefully that would just be for the South Climb trail proper, and not the trailhead and initial access trail (first mile up). Love to use the South Climb TH to access the RTM trail in both directions.

drm

Post by drm » June 8th, 2017, 7:22 am

-Q- wrote:
Hopefully that would just be for the South Climb trail proper, and not the trailhead and initial access trail (first mile up). Love to use the South Climb TH to access the RTM trail in both directions.
Hopefully so. Given the precedent that a climbing permit is only required if you go above 7000 feet (which should be 8500' IMO), there is a good chance that limitations would not be based on using the trailhead. Especially true this year as it will be the primary access to Bird Creek Meadows.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 8th, 2017, 9:11 pm

drm wrote:
-Q- wrote:
Hopefully so. Given the precedent that a climbing permit is only required if you go above 7000 feet (which should be 8500' IMO), there is a good chance that limitations would not be based on using the trailhead. Especially true this year as it will be the primary access to Bird Creek Meadows.
Are there rumblings about a future limit system going around the mt Adams ranger district?? Do you know if this is being discussed now?? If so, I better haul myself up Adams one of these days

raven

Post by raven » June 9th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Years ago, in a thread on the Pamelia Lake fees I provided evidence that we in western Oregon were the crash test dummies for fees -- that they were not being charged in eastern National Forests seeing much heavier traffic. That it was made insultingly clear by charging fees for entrance to the Obsidian Cliffs/Sunshine area when one would have to ski into the area after a long road ski.

I listed some of the evidence on eastern forests in this post:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 13#p112413

Other evidence was discussed in other posts in the thread.

There is money to be made by charging for permits, and it is to be ours. Similarly with trailhead fees. No charges in the much more crowded east!

We have not fought for rights and we have lost rights.

markesc

Post by markesc » June 21st, 2017, 2:38 am

retired jerry wrote:Build more trailheads and trails

That's not an easy answer because it costs money
Charge the people moving here (most of whom are annoying mean people, not your stereotypical hot California blond chics). Could easily be done when they have to get an Oregon DL. Just think: $1k from each person moving here could go a long way to fund new trails/roads/etc. If they don't like it, then don't move here. Simple as that.

I love it when I run into these morons: "we tried to go to canon beach last weekend but we couldn't find anywhere to park..." Ya think? idiots.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 21st, 2017, 9:04 am

markesc wrote: Charge the people moving here (most of whom are annoying mean people, not your stereotypical hot California blond chics [sic]).
Clever satire of how people in contemporary America denigrate others through sexist stereotypes, Chris! Your dry, ironic joke does a great job of suggesting how far we as a society still need to go in order for everyone to be treated with respect. Kudos to you for surreptitiously integrating such a seemingly unrelated progressive concept into a discussion of outdoor permits and quotas - it gives us all quite a lot to think about. :idea: :ugeek:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased