Cape Horn Plan - public comments needed by July 30th

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
jeffstatt

Re: Cape Horn Plan - public comments needed by July 30th

Post by jeffstatt » July 7th, 2008, 12:09 am

I agree there are a lot of hidden gems on the WA side. It would be a shame to lose access to Cape Horn Falls, especially considering all the hard work that went into getting it to begin with!

Oh, with Houston - I was refering to it as one of hundreds of examples of US cities not blessed with the proximity of the natural beauty we have here - not really refering to anything political there. (However it's very cool that Texas passed HB 1 and HB 12 last year - injecting almost $200 million additional park funding for 2008 and 09 - so it's not a total loss down there. I've visted a dozen or so State Parks in Texas. If you can stand the red ants, snakes and the occasional alligator, it is a very nice state park system!)

Myself, Cape Horn is a trail dear to my heart - and at at mere 17 minutes from my house it's one I've hiked it at least a half dozen times in the past year or so. I'm proud of PHer's early support of the trail and its part in helping its popularity. Our Field Guide page is only one of two good information pages I'm aware of regarding this hike.

I had the good fortune of hiking the trail with Dan Huntington and he relayed many of the early stories. For those not aware, Dan, at considerable personal effort, orchestrated several dozen real estate deals to secure the land needed to connect a lose conglomeration of local trails, old wagon roads and long abandoned logging roads into a full Cape Horn loop trail. A long-time local, it was Dan's own personal vision to have the trail built so the area would not fall victim to the same encroaching homebuilding that we're seeing in Washougal and Stevenson. He is to be lauded for his hard work and determination! In fact he personally paid the lease for that section of the trail that was private property for quite some time out of his own pocket.

It was his efforts along with significant work of the Friends of the Columbia Gorge and some key benefactors that lead to the Forest Service buying 50 properties along the rim up there - effectively killing a planned subdivsion. (So it may not be accurate to assume that the FS does not have a vested interest for trails in this area!)

I've have numerous discussions with some of the key players with Friends of the Columbia Gorge and the WTA. Gorge Friends for one has been the main driver in pushing the FS on this. You can find some of the background on their Campaign for Cape Horn page. They were also key in creating the Cape Horn Conservancy. With the support of WTA, they are planning to fund and carry out the engineering and survey work for the underpasses on RT 14.

The Gorge from a view point along the lower section of the Cape Horn trail.

However, the Cape Horn loop trails were built outside the supervision of the Forest Service. None of the required environmental assesments were done, trails were built substandard, full sections of the trail are on public roads outside of FS jurisdiction, and there are still private property issues. So it should be no surprise that it presents some difficulties for the FS to adopt the trail unilaterally.

When you consider clandestine trail building efforts on the Washington side on Prindle Mt, Archer Mt, Greenleef Point and the Hamilton Creek basin (Some that cross state and federal land, some into DNR, and most cross or skirt vague properly lines.) including those being used by OHVers and mt bikers, they must also consider the precedent of being allowed to be "bullied" (for lack of a better word) into taking action on Cape Horn.

And that lower section has its share of problems. The current route is going to be difficult to maintain - and is bookended by two irregular and possibly expensive problems. Further, there are other interests at stake, including discussions to connect the trail further West to the Steigerwald Lake Refuge, and other discussions to connect it northward as a connector to the Chinook Trail. There is an environmental group trying to protect falcons near Cape Horn Falls (although I don't know much about their claims)

Add to this the Route 14 road straightening proposals, the Park and Ride, the Friend's plans for the Rim, and the shrinking budgets across the board I humbly submit, this is a bit more layered than it intially appears

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » July 7th, 2008, 6:56 am

Jeff, you make some good points here, but I think Dan's work stands so far above what other freelance trail people have done that it deserves a different approach by the FS. Dan spearheaded the effort to resolve private land issues and has really done a lot of the work that the FS might need to perform normally. I understood that the private land issues were all resolved, but perhaps that's not the case.

To hop on a soapbox for a bit, my point of view on a lot of things is that the Forest Service generally seems to be playing the role of nay sayer. I understand that there are trail building issues out there and the FS can't willy nilly endorse all trail building. On the other hand, if they actually designed and built a trail once in a while, they would have far less work to do redesigning and rebuilding user built trails. Cape Horn is a perfect example of a place that the Forest Service let languish for years, even letting CCC era trails disappear into history. It took Dan's efforts (and others) to even make the FS notice the land holdings it already had.

I've grumped about this before, but I still believe that the FS has a bias toward big flashy projects that eat up way too much of their already limited cash. Fancy parking lots, pedestrian underpasses and paved trails cost a lot more money than a simple dirt path through the woods.

My worry on FS plans like this is that the emphasis always seems to be on minimizing public access to protect something or other. This attitude endangers a lot of our trails. There are a lot of user made trails out there are truly gems, like Wind Mountain, Catherine Creek, Munra Point and the Tanner Butte summit trail. All of these could be effected by FS planning like we're seeing here. While it's true, of course, the private property and endangered species need protection, the goal should be to maximize public access without hurting anything. That means getting the most trail for the buck.

As a positive contrast, I would offer up the Nature Conservancy. There's an outfit that has found ways to grant public access to some truly amazing pieces of land, while still protecting the environment, including some very rare species. I also applaud Nancy Russell, the owner of the Lyle Cherry Orchard property. Sure, maybe the trails are too steep or narrow to meet some government spec. No public surveys have been performed and no board has ratified anything. On the other hand, the important things are there. There are developed trails and people are granted access to see some of nature's most interesting places.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 7th, 2008, 9:09 am

Stevefromdodge wrote: I've grumped about this before, but I still believe that the FS has a bias toward big flashy projects that eat up way too much of their already limited cash. Fancy parking lots, pedestrian underpasses and paved trails cost a lot more money than a simple dirt path through the woods.
No doubt. I think many inside the agency would agree with you there Steve. Another symptom of the lobbying culture in DC I suppose

Jane

Post by Jane » July 22nd, 2008, 8:57 pm

Reminder bump - please send your comments and concerns by Wednesday July 30th! click on:

http://www.gorgefriends.org/

Here is the Friends of the Gorge comments:
The Forest Service's Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area Office is currently taking public comments on a recreational development plan for the Cape Horn Area. Your participation is vital to its outcome. This process is a culmination of over two decades of work for Friends of the Columbia Gorge and others to move private lands at Cape Horn into protective hands and promote a Cape Horn Park and Trail for the public to enjoy. SEND A LETTER NOW! Comments must be received by July 30, 2008

The Forest Service has released the following draft alternatives:
1. Leave the unofficial trail as is
2. Incorporate the upper trail into the Forest Service system while closing the lower trail
3. Incorporate the entire loop trail into the Forest Service system

Friends of the Columbia Gorge supports incorporating the full loop trail while working to mitigate any environmental concerns. Please weigh in on the future of Cape Horn , one of the most spectacular trails in the Columbia River Gorge!
http://www.gorgefriends.org

and article in 7-23 Columbian:
http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNe ... -trail.cfm

Jane

Re: Cape Horn Plan - public comments needed by TODAY!!

Post by Jane » July 30th, 2008, 7:50 am

One last reminder folks, PLEASE submit your comments by today!! This is a uniquely wonderful trail and area that deserves all hikers' input:

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/511 ... gn_KEY=435

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » August 27th, 2008, 3:41 pm

I've been an absentee member for some time and just came across this thread. Jane, has there been any word since the comment period from the FS, Friends of the CRG, etc about the Cape Horn plan? My knee jerk reaction to the situation is to preserve the existing trail and keep the loop as intact as possible. On the other hand, I respect and understand the even-handed and balanced point of view that Jeff has expressed.
-Jim

Jane

Post by Jane » August 27th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Hey Jim, I am not sure where the process is in reviewing the comments and options, but according to this letter it looks like the public be notified of the decision in September?
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/projec ... 08_000.pdf

and this schedule of proposed actions seems to indicate September as well (page 5):
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/projec ... t_2008.pdf

The folks at Friends of the Gorge may have more current info also: 503-241-3762.
They are leading stewardship outings on the Cape Horn trail Oct.18 and Nov. 8 for anyone interested! http://www.gorgefriends.org/hikes/currentschedule/