Forest Service embraces recreation

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
justpeachy

Forest Service embraces recreation

Post by justpeachy » October 10th, 2016, 8:18 pm

The Forest Service Wants to Be Your New Best Friend

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2016/ ... p-it-says/

Limey

Re: Forest Service embraces recreation

Post by Limey » October 10th, 2016, 8:52 pm

I really hope someone from MHNF was at that meeting. Thanks for posting.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 11th, 2016, 7:10 am

That sounds good

"The federal land management agency that has spent more than century pretty much treating recreation as the annoying stepchild in a family dominated by oil, gas and timber, is embracing recreation as its future; a pathway for grooming the next generation of public lands advocates.

That elevation of recreation is anchored in a sweeping modernization of the recreation permit process with an eye toward making it easier for groups and urban youth to find first-step, safe introductions to the outdoors."

Now, how will this affect NWFP and MSHI? Probably any change will be slow. And the problem with NWFP is the law says they have to put table, outhouse, and garbage can at TH rather than use if for trail maintenance.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 14th, 2016, 11:34 am

That is an interesting read. Federal and state land agencies would be wise to reconsider their mindsets and move forward changing their business model if they are to survive. I think this would also be true of those agencies that manage our wildlife.

Perhaps this is just the beginning.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 15th, 2016, 6:37 am

Did I miss something in that article? Although they said they were embracing recreation, it seemed limited to improving the process for permits - what kind of permits were they talking about? NWFP? Or permits for outfitters? Or something else?

If they truly want to embrace recreation, they need to focus more on trails and trail maintenance - or at least put some more effort and/or money into them instead of them being fed any leftovers.

I'm skeptical of any widespread change of mindset - the wildfire budgets will keep growing, and even if they want to focus more on recreation I think funding levels will not allow them any choice. But I hope I'm wrong.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 15th, 2016, 9:47 am

If they truly want to embrace recreation, they need to focus more on trails and trail maintenance

As much as we like to think that hiking is the main form of recreation in the national forests, we are just one group among many. If you add up car camping, fishing, hunting, climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, hang gliding, and all the other forms of popular outdoor recreation, then the FS is looking at a lot more potential users than just us hikers and trail maintenance and expansion will still be competing for scarce FS funds.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 15th, 2016, 10:27 am

Hikers and other recreational users have contributed little financially to wildland management in comparison to commercial users such as timber and mining resources. We can probably expect to pay more fees and have more permits. If that is true we should have a larger voice regarding how those fees are applied.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Charley

Post by Charley » October 15th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Aimless wrote:If they truly want to embrace recreation, they need to focus more on trails and trail maintenance

As much as we like to think that hiking is the main form of recreation in the national forests, we are just one group among many. If you add up car camping, fishing, hunting, climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, hang gliding, and all the other forms of popular outdoor recreation, then the FS is looking at a lot more potential users than just us hikers and trail maintenance and expansion will still be competing for scarce FS funds.
Yes. The more hikers ally themselves with mountain bikers, the larger that "trail pie" will be. If we can work together to advocate for more trails and better maintained trails, we'll have a stronger voice.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.