Minam river lodge

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
greenjello85

Minam river lodge

Post by greenjello85 » September 1st, 2016, 11:50 am

http://katu.com/news/local/luxury-lodge ... wilderness $500 a night for a cabin, $100 a night for a raised platform bed in a communal tent. Fancy backpacking :lol:

miah66

Re: Minam river lodge

Post by miah66 » September 1st, 2016, 1:29 pm

How does one go about building a new structure in "Wilderness" w/ a capital "W"? Atv use? :(
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Koda

Post by Koda » September 1st, 2016, 1:55 pm

miah66 wrote:How does one go about building a new structure in "Wilderness" w/ a capital "W"? Atv use? :(
in this case choppers although they also have an airplane landing strip on the property. The property was grandfathered in when they surrounded it by wilderness.

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYX ... ICIvLnCCww
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 1st, 2016, 2:51 pm

The plan is to build a 4,000-square-foot luxury lodge in the middle of the Eagle Cap Wilderness, where visitors can enjoy high-quality food, running water, showers, electricity and numerous amenities.
I think "in the middle" is a relative term in this case, meaning it's just not road-accessible. But I would call its location "on the periphery" - it's not even close to anything I'd want to visit in Eagle Cap. If glampers want to pay $500/night plus another $500/person to fly in and experience "roughing it," they can burn their money at their leisure.

Reminds me of Phantom Ranch in the bottom of the Grand Canyon, where you can get helicoptered down and pay $5 for a can of Tecate. :roll:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

BigBear

Post by BigBear » September 2nd, 2016, 8:52 am

The cabin is NOT in the middle of a wilderness area. The cabin is on a parcel of private land that is surrounded by public land, that was designated as a wilderness. Within the Eagle Cap Wilderness boundaries are a couple of blocks of private land.

This story came out a number of years ago when Hunsaker (Shilo Inn's owner) couldn't be bothered to pay his property taxes, but was boasting that he would build on his isolated plots of land in Wallowa County. I believe J.R. Simpliot has similar plots of land that are surrounded by River of No Return Wilderness lands.

It's just another chapter in America's never-ending saga of to Americas. One for the 1% and the other for the 99%. Just think how much worse it's going to get after the November election!

Water

Post by Water » September 27th, 2016, 4:18 pm

wow, that land only sold for $600k~? I know that is a hugely large amount but by the same token it is remotely fathomable for me. That's actually a great deal.
And the person who bought it said they liked the idea that you had to rough it to get there.. something to be said for that.

The land is definitely not in an area that most would got to hike, but I can assure you if your family owned the land there and it was yours to enjoy, it would seem like a veritable paradise in the mountains. I bet there is all sorts of cool stuff one could poke around into for weeks and years.

BigBear I don't think this land is related to Hunsaker (Shilo Inn guy) except that its in the same national forest/wilderness.. Hunsaker's land however at Hawkins(?) Pass, had he developed it would have been an insane blight on the core wilderness. Though it would have been quite a challenge to maintain through the seasons and I suspect unless occupied and heavily guarded/monitored would have gotten vandalized by people unhappy with it. Kind of terrifying that technically someone could still build on that land..

btw Assiniboine Provincial Park in Canada has a lodge ($150/night/person, includes food and sauna), rustic cabins ($25/person night, $5 duraflame log for stove, $20 to use sauna, access to wonderful cook lodge), and camping area ($15/person/night, $20 sauna, cooking pavilions)...you can hike in 14miles one way minimum or you can fly in ($300 a person I think? $150 each way)...or you can pay to fly in/out any supplies/gear. Honestly it was one of the best places we ever stayed. Sure camping in pure wilderness is awesome too, but this was so well done. Everything was clean. It was not over-run with use trails all over eroding things, the lodge was receptive to non-guests visiting/looking out the telescope, etc. You only heard the helo a few times a week, and world-class scenery, fishing, hiking, and skiing is right out the door. I didn't feel like my experience was detracted basically, given all the 'hoopla' vs the wilderness.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 27th, 2016, 5:12 pm

BigBear wrote:It's just another chapter in America's never-ending saga of two Americas. One for the 1% and the other for the 99%.
Water wrote:BigBear I don't think this land is related to Hunsaker (Shilo Inn guy) except that its in the same national forest/wilderness.. Hunsaker's land however at Hawkins(?) Pass, had he developed it would have been an insane blight on the core wilderness. Though it would have been quite a challenge to maintain through the seasons and I suspect unless occupied and heavily guarded/monitored would have gotten vandalized by people unhappy with it.
When I hear about the increasing inequity of wealth distribution (which some say is a myth, but whatever) I console myself with the hope that someday the elite won't know what to do with their money, because they'll be terrified to live an ostentatious lifestyle. Sadly, history shows that humans have a remarkable tendency towards complacency.

Anyway, something to ponder: would Water's hypothetical guards be part of the elite, or would the elite be able to find a few plebs desperate enough to risk their safety and sell out their own class for a smidge over minimum wage?

I almost feel bad about the semi-rant post, but at least I refrained from profanity and threats. ;)