amazing feat in Oregon Cascades seems too good to be true...

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Chip Down

amazing feat in Oregon Cascades seems too good to be true...

Post by Chip Down » August 25th, 2016, 5:45 pm

...and you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true.

The Oregonian reported today that Christof Teuscher, whose previous 15 minutes was a speedy trip on foot from Adams summit to Hood summit last year, has a new accomplishment to report: Starting at Jefferson, he climbed South Sister, Middle, North, back to Jefferson again, and on to Hood, climbing the five highest peaks in the state and traveling on foot in between. Except he didn't. The Oregonian has since corrected the story to say that Teuscher started at South Sister and went to Hood, summing only South Sister and Middle Sister along the way. And although he completed all the travel on foot, he was supported with deliveries of food, water, and gear.

Umm...yeah, sorry, I could do that. Much much slower, of course. In fact, I have no doubt this guy could kick my butt in an endurance event. But I think this exhibition was poorly conceived, and I'm just not that impressed. Even less impressed with The Oregonian's shabby journalism.

source and full story:
http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... ons_5.html

goingrouge

Re: amazing feat in Oregon Cascades seems too good to be tru

Post by goingrouge » August 25th, 2016, 11:11 pm

...and you know what they say about things that if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

An Oregon Hiker reported today that Someone more motivated than themselves, whose previous 15 minutes was a questionably witty comment fueled by mountain angst: Starting with cliche, he quickly resorted to belittling ambition and pride, rapidly ascending his own pedestal. Climbing on scree of self worth, again, and again, but falling back, two steps for every one, back to belittling again, and on to plain blabber, a constant moan. Except he didn't. Another Oregon Hiker has since corrected the story to say that it was not moaning, but whimperng. Starting predictably, no momentum was gained along the way. And although he completed with decent grammar and syntax, the editorial was not amply supported with deliveries of actual critique, interest, or tact.

Umm...yeah, sorry, I could do that. Much much more quickly, of course. In fact, I have no doubt this guy could kick my butt in an couch surfing event. But I think this exhibition was poorly conceived, and I'm just not that impressed. Even less impressed with something...... there must be something.

source and full story:

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... it=Amazing.

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 26th, 2016, 6:56 am

"goingrouge to the burn unit...paging dr goingrouge..."

dang son :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » August 26th, 2016, 8:04 am

http://www.christofteuscher.com/aagaa/

Point of clarity: summited south/middle sisters, climbed north sister and Jefferson to within a couple hundred feet of their summits(says he stopped at the summit blocks that required climbing), and hood to the hogsback(didn't have crampons*edit* (mis read the blog my bad) or mountaineering boots).

150ish miles and 50000 feet of eg in 67 hours is quite a feat! Hats off to Christof!

Chip, make it to the true summits in any amount of time and you would hold a world record as it had never been done. Challenge is on and I look forward to your report/beer commercial ;)
Last edited by greenjello85 on August 26th, 2016, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tschalpi

Post by tschalpi » August 26th, 2016, 8:27 am

Point of clarity: I did have crampons on Hood. And a helmet and ice axes as well. But I had soft shoes that did not allow me to do proper front-pointing to go up the Old Chute (or the Pearly Gates).

Can't wait to see other attempts! Chip: happy to come out and bring you food, water, and gear for your attempt...

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 26th, 2016, 8:41 am

goingrouge wrote:...and you know what they say about things that if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

An Oregon Hiker reported today that Someone more motivated than themselves, whose previous 15 minutes was a questionably witty comment fueled by mountain angst: Starting with cliche, he quickly resorted to belittling ambition and pride, rapidly ascending his own pedestal. Climbing on scree of self worth, again, and again, but falling back, two steps for every one, back to belittling again, and on to plain blabber, a constant moan. Except he didn't. Another Oregon Hiker has since corrected the story to say that it was not moaning, but whimperng. Starting predictably, no momentum was gained along the way. And although he completed with decent grammar and syntax, the editorial was not amply supported with deliveries of actual critique, interest, or tact.

Umm...yeah, sorry, I could do that. Much much more quickly, of course. In fact, I have no doubt this guy could kick my butt in an couch surfing event. But I think this exhibition was poorly conceived, and I'm just not that impressed. Even less impressed with something...... there must be something.
Holy crap, that was amazing. :D
miah66 wrote:"goingrouge to the burn unit...paging dr goingrouge..."

dang son :lol:
:lol:

Well done, Christof!
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 26th, 2016, 8:42 am

I love seeing these "stunts", which I mean in the best of intentions and feeling. Great adventures and efforts for the simple sake of doing.

I'd love to see Christof make another go of the Oregon Desert Trail.

[Edit]
just checked out his Youtube channel and saw the announcement of his second attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzY2uAxzgs8
[/Edit]
Last edited by Chazz on August 26th, 2016, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 26th, 2016, 8:47 am

tschalpi wrote:I did have crampons on Hood. And a helmed and ice axes as well. But I had soft shoes that did not allow me to do proper front-pointing to go up the Old Chute (or the Pearly Gates).
I bailed at 10k' that same day, rather than crossing the Coalman with microspikes. It was sooooo hot! No traction at all.

I think you got there hours after me. Surprised even crampons offered much confidence in that slush by then.
    Where I said, "Enough!" (Technically, according to Mr Garmin, at 9999' elevation.)

For those unfamiliar with the Coalman Glacier, the runout is "unpleasant."
    (See the climber on Hogsback?)

Met the guys who made prints on right. Nuts, huh?
    They were wearing crampons and ski boots.
Incomprehensible feat, Cristof! That as close as words can come. Wow...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

jdemott

Post by jdemott » August 26th, 2016, 11:15 am

Even more than the unbelievable feat of endurance, I applaud Christof for having the great good judgment to know when to stop his ascents. Having invested so much time and effort in this adventure, I'm sure there must have been a huge temptation to push on just a little farther in order to say that he had actually touched the summit. And exercising good judgment is even harder when you are standing alone in the dark...tired, hungry and cold. But how much better to be reading an account of a remarkable adventure than a report of a SAR operation! His account is a good reminder that the most important piece of equipment in the outdoors is your brain. Good job!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 26th, 2016, 8:13 pm

There are some stupid insensitive posts above (okay, one or two of them are pretty funny too). But I want to focus on the stupid insensitive OP (i.e. mine).

Initially, I was surprised at the backlash above. I mean, the only real criticism I directed at the hero of the Oregonian story was that his feat was ill conceived (which I can address in detail if requested).

So why the uproar in response to my post? I suppose it was the overall tone of my post. For example, I posted something like "big deal, I could do that". Well, yeah, I could. That's a fact. It would take me longer, but I could do it. And I did acknowledge that he could kick my butt in an endurance contest. But see, that's typical of me, to say something without considering the tone of it. It really does sound dismissive. Would I ever respond that way to a TR posted here? Of course not. I've seen some instagrammy TRs that are very full of of narcissism, but I just decide to click the back button and not say anything.

The tone of my post was partly because of my contempt for the Oregonian, partly because it was in the news forum rather than in response to a TR, and partly because of the illusion of distance afforded by the www. All these things combined to put me in a frame of mind that was a bit dismissive/contemptuous/flippant. That, plus my tendency to evaluate my words based on accuracy, without really thinking about the overall attitude/tone that I display.

So, while I think some of the replies above are a bit over-the-top, I acknowledge I should have been more circumspect and sensitive in my response to the Oregonian story. Sorry.