"where people fall and die on mt hood"

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Chip Down

"where people fall and die on mt hood"

Post by Chip Down » June 24th, 2016, 5:40 pm

http://www.wweek.com/news/2016/06/22/wh ... ount-hood/
the graphic show the "manzuma" chutes. Yeah, whatever. :roll:

Where did you come closest to becoming a statistic on Hood?
I've done some crazy stuff up there, but never felt like I was about to die. Got into some uncomfortably steep terrain on the Reid Headwall. Nearly fell into a crevasse. Broke a bone on a route where it wasn't an easy hike out. Descended from the summit in the dark via Cooper Spur. Still, nothing as scary as some stuff I went through on Jefferson, North Sister, or even the relatively tame Goat Rocks.

Seems like Willy Week has been heavy on the hiking stuff lately, including a PCT segment this week.

mountain goat

Re: "where people fall and die on mt hood"

Post by mountain goat » June 25th, 2016, 4:12 pm

I'm glad Willamette Week put that in there. They might not be well-informed, but I hope they get people thinking about what they're doing out there and whether they have the skills, conditioning, experience, and know-how to really be hiking some of the trails that they think will otherwise win them instagram points. People see a hike profiled in WW, Portland Monthly, Buzzfeed, or whatever other top 10 list they come across and think they have to do it.

I hate, for instance, what Dog Mountain becomes during wildflower season: people hiking in sandals, carrying infants insecurely, dogs off leashes, and people asking the sixth switchback in or so "hey man, how much further do you think we have until the top?" Just because people want to do a beautiful hike doesn't mean they always should. I see too many people out there who are an accident waiting to happen.