80' shortcut leaves Portland man stranded, then rescued

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Chip Down

80' shortcut leaves Portland man stranded, then rescued

Post by Chip Down » June 8th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Okay, not exactly hiking, but I had to share this:
A man had to be rescued by Clackamas County firefighters Wednesday after getting stuck for hours while scaling an estimated 80-foot embankment near Willamette Falls in Oregon City.

The unidentified man claimed he was walking along the railroad tracks around dawn and began climbing the steep hill to get up to South McLoughlin Boulevard near Second Street, said Lt. Steve Hoffeditz, a Clackamas Fire District 1 spokesman. At some point, the man lost his footing and couldn't continue.

A worker on a barge above Willamette Falls on the Willamette River heard the man calling for help about 11:15 a.m. and called 911, Hoffeditz said. The man was found 60 feet up the hill and wearing a T-shirt and gym shorts, he said.

It took a rope rescue team about 30 minutes to rappel down to the man and retrieve him, Hoffeditz said. He wasn't injured and was allowed to leave the scene after a medical evaluation.
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-city/i ... river_home

Looks like it took at least 8 rescuers to throw the dude a rope, plus however many are out of frame. :lol:

This is the kind of situation that scares me when hiking/climbing. I'm always very cautious to stop and turn back at the first sign that I'm in a situation where downclimbing would pose a problem. Also why I've started carrying a rope when I think I'll be on steep terrain with plenty of natural anchors.

Lurch

Re: 80' shortcut leaves Portland man stranded, then rescued

Post by Lurch » June 9th, 2016, 7:33 am

Chip Down wrote:Looks like it took at least 8 rescuers to throw the dude a rope, plus however many are out of frame. :lol:
Seriously? There's more to that then just toss a rope down.. :roll: