Oil train derailment near Mosier

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
User avatar
retired jerry
Posts: 12755
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by retired jerry » June 6th, 2016, 11:36 am

aren't they pumping oil out of them? then they'll move them?

User avatar
kepPNW
Posts: 6343
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 9:55 am
Location: Salmon Creek

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by kepPNW » June 6th, 2016, 11:58 am

retired jerry wrote:aren't they pumping oil out of them? then they'll move them?
Yeah. The controversy is in re-opening the railroad while those damaged cars, still full of oil, are only feet away.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

(Photos · PortlandHikers)

User avatar
Koda
Posts: 3437
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:54 am

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by Koda » June 6th, 2016, 12:17 pm

just a random thought of curiosity, what is the ratio of oil train derailments to all other train derailments?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

User avatar
windmtnpete
Posts: 191
Joined: January 28th, 2012, 4:19 pm
Location: Nelson, BC Canada

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by windmtnpete » June 6th, 2016, 3:15 pm

kepPNW wrote:
retired jerry wrote:aren't they pumping oil out of them? then they'll move them?
Yeah. The controversy is in re-opening the railroad while those damaged cars, still full of oil, are only feet away.

The controversy is about cleaning up the mess that Union Pacific is responsible for before they continue "business as usual". Also, there's a little misunderstanding about the (mild) "inconvenience" that the community of Mosier experienced.

"We’ll continue to work with the city” says Justin Jacobs, a spokesman for Union Pacific. Fact is, Union Pacific decided to run trains without finalizing work with the city of Mosier on the issue of cleanup. Meanwhile, the investigation continues even though the trains are running again. It's all about the money and the body count. Since there's no dead people, the railroad feels free to continue with business as usual.

Meanwhile, our broken government just goes along for the ride.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
kepPNW
Posts: 6343
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 9:55 am
Location: Salmon Creek

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by kepPNW » June 6th, 2016, 3:35 pm

windmtnpete wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
retired jerry wrote:aren't they pumping oil out of them? then they'll move them?
Yeah. The controversy is in re-opening the railroad while those damaged cars, still full of oil, are only feet away.
The controversy is about cleaning up the mess that Union Pacific is responsible for before they continue "business as usual".
Indeed. But if you say it like that, you sound like a vengeful radical. ;)
windmtnpete wrote:Also, there's a little misunderstanding about the (mild) "inconvenience" that the community of Mosier experienced.

"We’ll continue to work with the city” says Justin Jacobs, a spokesman for Union Pacific. Fact is, Union Pacific decided to run trains without finalizing work with the city of Mosier on the issue of cleanup. Meanwhile, the investigation continues even though the trains are running again. It's all about the money and the body count. Since there's no dead people, the railroad feels free to continue with business as usual.

Meanwhile, our broken government just goes along for the ride.
Yep. <sigh>
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

(Photos · PortlandHikers)

User avatar
Charley
Posts: 1422
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: Southeast Portland

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by Charley » June 6th, 2016, 6:33 pm

I view this as, in short, "We the people" are getting screwed by "We the consumers." If our elected officials got the message clearly enough from us, they wouldn't allow these companies to risk our lives, livelihoods, and communities with this dangerous but profitable activity. Those leaders are not getting that message.

We all use gasoline: it's baked into everything we have and everything we do. The alternatives are unreachable unless we consumers tell our leaders we've had enough. Judging from the reaction to this event here in Oregon, I'm hoping that we're getting close to that moment in this community. (If Federal laws don't stand in the way, our mostly green elected leaders might actually stand up for us downstream communities.)

User avatar
retired jerry
Posts: 12755
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by retired jerry » June 7th, 2016, 5:16 am

Oregon gov and legislators to D.C. have requested no more oil trains until they investigate and figure out how it happened

except oil trains are not safe. Occasional spills. Grain trains or lumber trains are okay because you don't have such catastrophic spill/fire

It's like it just happened - fracking - no plan on how to get that oil to market - if we're going to produce Bakkan oil they need to build some more pipelines (using safest technology)

User avatar
retired jerry
Posts: 12755
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by retired jerry » June 7th, 2016, 5:36 am

They already have crude pipelines going from Bakkan area:
Image

I wonder why they don't use them? Maybe not enough capacity, in which case they could increase

greenjello85
Posts: 503
Joined: July 31st, 2014, 1:31 pm

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by greenjello85 » June 7th, 2016, 11:04 am

retired jerry wrote:They already have crude pipelines going from Bakkan area:
Image

I wonder why they don't use them? Maybe not enough capacity, in which case they could increase
How can you trust a map that shows Alaska as an island off the California Coast? This must have been created by a cartographer for the Mt. Hood National Forest ;)

User avatar
retired jerry
Posts: 12755
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: Oil train derailment near Mosier

Post by retired jerry » June 7th, 2016, 5:04 pm

That's where it will be after several earthquakes :)

Post Reply