Sad & Scary!

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
mayhem

Sad & Scary!

Post by mayhem » November 16th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Police: 4 Bodies Found in Pond on Property of Man Charged in Texas Campsite Killing
http://gawker.com/police-4-bodies-found ... 1742906891
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Limey

Re: Sad & Scary!

Post by Limey » November 17th, 2015, 8:50 am

That is definitely very scary and sad. I wonder what prompted it. It is hard to imagine that one person could manage to kill that many people unless he was in sniper mode.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 15th, 2015, 5:49 am

Sad and scary indeed. When I wander into remote country I must trust that the locals are good people but one never really knows.

dailymail.co.uk has more on this with a plausible explanation of how it played out.

Limey

Post by Limey » December 15th, 2015, 8:31 am

That's a long article. He is one seriously unstable dude.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 15th, 2015, 9:36 am

Webfoot wrote:When I wander into remote country I must trust that the locals are good people but one never really knows.
Seems to be a reasonable trust. I have no doubts you're far more likely to run into not-so-good people in more urban settings than out in the country, simply as a matter of odds if nothing else. Plus, no banjos to warn you in the city! ;)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 15th, 2015, 2:28 pm

kepPNW wrote:I have no doubts you're far more likely to run into not-so-good people in more urban settings than out in the country, simply as a matter of odds if nothing else.
I do not disagree. It's just that I am rarely so isolated and at the mercy of one or a few people in a city.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 15th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Webfoot wrote:
kepPNW wrote:I have no doubts you're far more likely to run into not-so-good people in more urban settings than out in the country, simply as a matter of odds if nothing else.
I do not disagree. It's just that I am rarely so isolated and at the mercy of one or a few people in a city.
My first instinct was to agree with this. But then I thought some more, and realized that my "spidey senses" have only started tingling a mere handful of times in the wild, but that it's an almost daily occurrence in the city. Maybe I just pay too much attention? Heh... It really doesn't take much to be "isolated" even with people all around you.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...