Hikers Rescued on Larch Mountain

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
OneSpeed

Hikers Rescued on Larch Mountain

Post by OneSpeed » April 8th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Glad these two are okay. And I have to say, it's amazing what people think hiking is about: heading off on a hike in shorts and tee-shirt is one thing, but to keep going when you hit snow? At least they had a cell phone.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/42714337.html

Jane

Re: Hikers Rescued on Larch Mountain

Post by Jane » April 9th, 2009, 11:04 pm

This story reminded me of a year ago March. I was hiking up the Larch Mtn. trail, and a ways above the metal bridge (after the the Waukeena junction) I soon saw a young couple (looked college age) slowly making their way down towards me. I stopped to chat, saw they were SOAKING wet (were wearing bluejeans and cotton sweatshirts and t shirts!) and the guy had NO shoes on. I asked "where's your shoes?!" They then poceeded to tell me that they had hiked up towards Larch Mtn. the afternoon before, got lost with all the snow, it got dark and, and they spent the night up there! They kept assuring me they were okay, refused my extra layers, but I made the guy take my extra pair of socks at least for his feet (he said he could barely feel his toes), and gave them a Cliff bar (they said they had water to drink). We talked a little more, and they continued down , and I continued up. Well, after thinking about it I chose to turn back and try and catch up with them to make sure they made it back down ok. When I finally got cell phone reception, I called down to the lodge to alert them to watch for the couple if they needed assistance. I caught up with them eventually and we talked and walked slowly the rest of the way down. They admitted they got a very late start, totally did not anitcipate the snow levels, and were not prepared. I tried to be casual with my tips and advice to them, mostly to keep their morale up (and not sound like a lecturer) as I could see the guy was in pain. They had gotten ahold of her mom on their cell phone and assured me she would have dry clothes, etc. for them at the bottom. His shoes got lost he said, by coming off in the snow, as they were wandering around quite a bit trying to find their way - in the darkness and deep snow. They finally made a make shift shelter they said, with some branches near a log away from the snow. But it rained most the night and they heard all the noises one can hear in the woods - they didn't sleep much. Plus they were shivering continuously. Anyway, they had exhausted but good spirits, said they learned their lesson hard, and thanked me for helping them. I was just glad they didn't end up on the news!

JosephSamuel

Post by JosephSamuel » April 13th, 2009, 10:05 am

Jane, that story sounds absolutely dreadful! I can't imagine "losing" my shoes in the snow. It sounds like they were making sense talking to you but you have to be a little out of if (hypothermic) if you don't stop to pull your shoes out of the snow. I'm actually surprised they didn't die! Cotton+cold+wet overnight=death!

ErinL

Post by ErinL » April 21st, 2009, 5:34 pm

Jane, after reading that story, I had to dig around my daypack and make sure my compass and extra socks and gloves were still in there. This is a good reminder to be prepared with the 10 (at least!) essentials.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 21st, 2009, 5:54 pm

Jane,
I am also surprised by the shoe thing...how do you lose your shoes? I am surprised he did not suffer frost-bite. It's also surprising they didn't at least try to come down during the night - just following their tracks back to the trail and sticking to it down - something possible even in the dark. Perhaps there was a bit of romantic...uh, oh, we're stuck up here...we better stay cuddled together for warmth kind of thing going on... That was very good of you to help them too. Their thinking was obviously clouded, and it was a good idea to see them all the way down. Great story to learn from.
-Zach

Jane

Post by Jane » April 21st, 2009, 9:24 pm

Hey all, well what I recall him saying about the shoes (tennis shoes) is that they got anxious and tromped around haphazardly trying to find their way in the snow, but it was getting dark, and they came off/ got stuck/sucked in and lost before he could realize what happened, much less locate them in the dark. Zach, I don't think anything romantic was on their mind by their looks - I think exhaustion and disorientation and defeat were more their states of mind.
The snow and darkness were against them, but by morning they had enough wherewithall again to find their way luckily. They were very reality-dosed about their mistakes I felt, and knew it could have been worse for them. Erin, yes extra socks can be life savers-I've even loaned them to hikers who were gloveless.