Scout Leaders Destroy Boulder Formation in Utah

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
RobFromRedland

Re: Scout Leaders Destroy Boulder Formation in Utah

Post by RobFromRedland » October 20th, 2013, 6:11 am

kepPNW wrote:100 death threats, so far. (Which seems a little extreme.)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/19/b ... oes-viral/

Just reprehensible. BSA is so messed-up... :x
I agree with you, however please don't confuse the BSA with real Scouting. Real Scouting happens at the local level and LOTS of really good things happen there. I'm a longtime Scouter, and am proud of what our small troop accomplishes and the adventures we take. I have to say that I'm somewhat embarrassed by the national organization at times. We, for the most part just ignore them and do what we need to do to help turn our boys into responsible young men.

I could easily generalize, but these guys were not "real" Scout leaders. They were appointed to their position(s), and obviously do not "get it". Involved in Scouting or not, they guys are an embarrassment to the human race. The fact that they can't take responsibility for their actions, even in hindsight is just really sad.

I do think that the death threats are a little over the top, though.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 20th, 2013, 6:17 am

Yeah, those were just three guys

Boy Scouts varies from location to location. Some places at some times are really good, and some the opposite. I had good experiences many years ago.

The organization has some issues to work out but that's another story...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2013, 8:45 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Just reprehensible. BSA is so messed-up... :x
I agree with you, however please don't confuse the BSA with real Scouting.
No worries, Rob. I totally get the distinction. If the national organization doesn't hammer hard on this one, though, the locals are only gonna be all the more marginalized. Yes, they are definitely an embarrassment to the human race.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hikerbot

Post by hikerbot » October 21st, 2013, 3:36 pm

kepPNW wrote:No worries, Rob. I totally get the distinction. If the national organization doesn't hammer hard on this one, though, the locals are only gonna be all the more marginalized. Yes, they are definitely an embarrassment to the human race.
To follow up to this thread, the scout leaders involved in this incident were "removed from their leadership positions and are no longer members of the BSA".

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/us/utah-b ... ?hpt=hp_t2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 21st, 2013, 3:54 pm

hikerbot wrote:
kepPNW wrote:No worries, Rob. I totally get the distinction. If the national organization doesn't hammer hard on this one, though, the locals are only gonna be all the more marginalized. Yes, they are definitely an embarrassment to the human race.
To follow up to this thread, the scout leaders involved in this incident were "removed from their leadership positions and are no longer members of the BSA".

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/21/us/utah-b ... ?hpt=hp_t2
Nice! Exactly as it should be, IMO.
Karl

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 21st, 2013, 4:13 pm

kepPNW wrote:
RobFromRedland wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Just reprehensible. BSA is so messed-up... :x
I agree with you, however please don't confuse the BSA with real Scouting.
No worries, Rob. I totally get the distinction. If the national organization doesn't hammer hard on this one, though, the locals are only gonna be all the more marginalized. Yes, they are definitely an embarrassment to the human race.
Well, it appears they did the sensible thing - they have removed them from the organization:

http://blog.utahscouts.org/news/boy-sco ... -incident/

Thank goodness for that.

Whoops! I guess someone already posted that! :oops:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 21st, 2013, 5:05 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:Whoops! I guess someone already posted that! :oops:
No oops; good to have it in their own words! Glad to see they're unequivocal about it. :)
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 21st, 2013, 5:28 pm

When I first heard about this I was sort of skeptical. 65 miilion year old rock? So what, many rocks are old. etc.

I saw some pictures on the news of Goblin Valley, and googled, e.g.:
goblin%20valley%20state%20park.jpg
Seems like a unique place and if people pushed over all the boulders it would be a real shame.

That makes me think worse of them, although they shouldn't probably throw them in jail

Hopefully they'll throw out the law suit he's filing that claims he was injured in auto accident

I think he's learning his lesson

Hopefully the lesson learned isn't just that you shouldn't post incriminating evidence on youtube :)

payslee

Post by payslee » January 31st, 2014, 4:03 pm

charges filed.

-payslee

Peabody

Post by Peabody » January 31st, 2014, 5:10 pm

Also pushed over long ago, by locals to prevent someone from gettin' hurt.

Cabbage Rock, Four Miles North of The Dalles.
Photo. by Lee Moorehouse, Pendleton.

The image came from EBook of The Columbia River, by William Denison Lyman
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White