Wilderness Bill defeated

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
bcostley

Wilderness Bill defeated

Post by bcostley » March 11th, 2009, 12:57 pm

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/state/st ... K0qkg.cspx

Anyone know why it needed a 2/3 majority?

bcostley

Re: Wilderness Bill defeated

Post by bcostley » March 11th, 2009, 1:01 pm

This one explains the 2/3s:

http://www.katu.com/news/41098142.html

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » March 11th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Some more detail here from the New York Times. Sounds like maybe the Democrats overplayed their hand -- barely. This thing went down by two votes in the House.

Jamesp

Post by Jamesp » March 11th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Good news afaic.
The land swap with Meadows is an extremely shady deal, imo. I also think that removing NRA provisions at the last minute was a shameful way to treat the mountain bikers who'd supported the bill to that point.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » March 11th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Jamesp wrote:Good news afaic.
The land swap with Meadows is an extremely shady deal, imo. I also think that removing NRA provisions at the last minute was a shameful way to treat the mountain bikers who'd supported the bill to that point.
I had the impression they added NRA provisions, trying to win Republicans and conservative Democrats. Or are we talking about two different things?

Jamesp

Post by Jamesp » March 11th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Two different things.
NRAs refer to "Natural Recreation Areas." Wilderness proponents used NRA designations to pitch the bill to riders, but removed them from the final draft. A move that would've criminalised riding on over 120 miles of trail. Double-dealing plain and simple.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » March 12th, 2009, 9:54 am

Ah, I see your point, and I didn't know about that. The legislation process can be so sloppy and disingenuous sometimes!

In fact, the NRA I was referring to was the National Rifle Association, which was concerned about hunting rights. This is from the Times:
As for the ever-present gun lobby, an amendment by Democrat Jason Altmire, Democrat of Pennsylvania, was meant to assuage those concerned about hunting and fishing rights. And Democrats pointed to the N.R.A.’s satisfaction with that amendment. But Gun Owners of America sent out a letter this week objecting to the overall omnibus on many grounds, and urged House members to vote against it.