missing hiker at Mt Hood

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Roy

missing hiker at Mt Hood

Post by Roy » March 29th, 2013, 10:16 pm

The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Re: missing hiker at Mt Hood

Post by kepPNW » March 30th, 2013, 3:37 am

Her pack in the truck? No, that can't be a good sign.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Helen

Post by Helen » March 30th, 2013, 4:10 am

I am very worried about her. Hearing that her pack was in the vehicle caused my heart to sink.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » March 30th, 2013, 9:23 am

Not good...

If she happens to be lost and not kidnapped, Timberline Lodge equals many potential places she could be; uphill, downhill, not as straightforward as a trailhead. Not looking good
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » March 30th, 2013, 11:46 am

She has been found--on Sandy Glacier. No details yet, but evidently frostbite and a possible broken ankle.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Missing- ... 25891.html

It is a good idea to let someone know where you're going and when they should call SAR if you don't come back. Makes life easier for both you and SAR!

The pack left in the car, I read earlier, was a small daypack. There has been speculation that she could have taken a larger pack with her, but no word on that yet.

Helen

Post by Helen » March 30th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Thanks Grannyhiker, that really made my day! I am so happy she has been found alive.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 30th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Good news

It's too bad they don't have phones that reliably work everywhere. Two way text would be sufficient. Cell phones don't work most of Mt Hood area.

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » March 30th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Found this on the Koin site. Look at the comments. Is this weird or what ?

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/st ... RfGgQ.cspx
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » March 30th, 2013, 7:33 pm

roadtripmom wrote:Found this on the Koin site. Look at the comments. Is this weird or what ?

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/st ... RfGgQ.cspx
You must be talking about the comment below. That is definitely weird.
Makes you wonder.
I'd be interested where that gps location points to; I'm too lazy to figure it out.

sterlingda - 3/29/2013 4:29 PM
2 Votes
Report User
Mary Owen's Possible Location Pinpointed by Intuitives March 22, 2013 I am Mary Owen's uncle on her mother's side. I've been on risky hikes myself. I also have a couple of friends who are intuitives, and I asked them if they might help pinpoint where Mary is. They helped find a missing person eight years ago. Over the course of about 2.5 hours, they provided the following description, ending with a GPS location of where she is likely located right now. (Some of this description comes from my own perceptions.) They said that she has been planning this hiking trip for a long time. She loves challenges, and is known by her Pacific Coast Trail hiking buddies as "Dare-Devil" or "DD" for short. He plan was to go North-West-West, in the snow, across challenging terrain, to a destination near 45.370724,-121.82098, where she could pick up Muddy Fork Rd. However, about half way there, going fairly straight as the crow flies, while climbing out of a ravine, she injured her left foot, so she could not walk. Though she left one pack in the car, which the police found parked at Timberline Lodge and Ski Area parking lot, she took another pack with her, which included a space blanket ("Silvery Cocoon"), which has helped keep her warm. She is confident that she will be found, and has been in a good mental state. She has a means of attracting a search party to her, once they are near enough. Fairs? Smoke? Ground drawing? Her phone isn't going to be of any help in locating her. There is water nearby, though she might not be able to get to it. Though she has been cold, she is not dying, and this will end well. Presently, Mary may be located in the vicinity of 45.350162,-121.783471 not far from the top of that ridge. I have submitted this information to my sister and to the Sherriff's office conducting the search. I hope they'll at least do a fly-over of the location my friends gave.

Guy

Post by Guy » March 30th, 2013, 7:57 pm

You must be talking about the comment below. That is definitely weird.
Makes you wonder. I'd be interested where that gps location points to; I'm too lazy to figure it out.
Not particularly close if what I heard on the news is correct!
Lost hiker.jpg
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors