Award for Saving Cloud Cap Inn

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Grannyhiker

Award for Saving Cloud Cap Inn

Post by Grannyhiker » October 13th, 2008, 5:16 pm

A USFS archaeologist has won a Heritage Steward Recognition award from the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office for his efforts in saving the historic Cloud Cap Inn from the Gnarl Ridge fire. More details and pictures of the Inn and Tilly Jane cabin here: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... ist_w.html

retired jerry

Re: Award for Saving Cloud Cap Inn

Post by retired jerry » October 14th, 2008, 6:27 am

I wonder if the two cabins on the other side of Tilly Jane Creek survived?

Peder

Post by Peder » October 14th, 2008, 7:08 am

The fire came very close to Cloud Cap Inn. The following two pictures were taken on the Barrett Spur above Vista Ridge:

Cloud Cap Inn is at the highest point of the burnt ridge (about 1/6th from the right-hand side of the photo).

I would encourage everybody to go somewhere above the snowline to enjoy the crisp surroundings!

Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Jamesp

Post by Jamesp » October 14th, 2008, 3:41 pm

retired jerry wrote:I wonder if the two cabins on the other side of Tilly Jane Creek survived?
They did. I heard that the fire came just to the backdoor of the A frame and stopped.