Sad news in the Columbia Gorge

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
aaburles

Sad news in the Columbia Gorge

Post by aaburles » October 24th, 2022, 8:03 am

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/pacifi ... oot-cliff/

Sad news out of the Gorge this weekend.

BigBear

Re: Sad news in the Columbia Gorge

Post by BigBear » October 25th, 2022, 2:43 pm

It is sad when someone dies on the trail. In this article, I'm trying to picture an 80-foot drop one mile from the freeway on the PCT and I'm thinking Eagle Creek Trail at the cables downstream from the former Metlako Falls viewpoint. Neither Herman creek nor Benson Plateau via Dry Creek fit the topography I am running though my memory. In the cabled area, it is quite understandable that jogging on the wet basalt could lead to a mis-step, I know I have had issues on the basalt further upstream at High Bridge and also at Blue Grouse Falls.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 25th, 2022, 3:03 pm

But I'd think if it WAS Eagle Creek, they'd say that in the story, since the Eagle Creek Trail is pretty well known. (In fact, in the Gorge it's much better known than the PCT.)

aaburles

Post by aaburles » October 25th, 2022, 3:52 pm

Pretty sure he was on Ruckel Creek trail. Which I think is still closed.

mikejorah

Post by mikejorah » November 14th, 2022, 5:20 am

This is so sad.
I always consider hiking as something safe, when you can rest from your routine.

But I feel scared from such news sometimes.