MHNF Requests Expressions of Interest for Bagby Hot Springs Management

Use this forum to see or share information about upcoming events, hikes, speakers or trail-tending opportunities from Portland-area clubs and organizations. Posts to this forum will automatically delete after 90 days.
justpeachy

MHNF Requests Expressions of Interest for Bagby Hot Springs Management

Post by justpeachy » July 7th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Saw this today and thought I'd share, in case anyone finds this of interest. There's a lot of history at Bagby and I know the place is kind of in rough shape at the moment, so hopefully something good comes of this.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/n ... EPRD762984
The Mt. Hood National Forest is seeking a new vision for Bagby Hot Springs and Campground on the Clackamas River Ranger District. Public and private entities who are interested in managing the site under a permit are encouraged to share their proposal for the popular recreation site and what it would take to make those ideas a reality. Interested parties are encouraged to submit a Request for Expression of Interest by September 9, 2020.

Bagby Hot Springs is located along Forest Road 70 on the Clackamas River Ranger District about 40 miles southeast of Estacada. The hot springs has attracted visitors for over 100 years and is now a heavily visited spot year-round. The site features two bath houses, two tool sheds, a cabin, a bunkhouse, and an 18-site campground. Several of the buildings need repairs and renovation.

“I am looking forward to seeing submitted proposals with the creative concepts people have for this site,” said Clackamas River District Ranger Jackie Groce. “This is a great opportunity to bring new ideas to a place used by generations of forest visitors.”

A site visit to the Bagby Hot Springs for those considering a proposal is scheduled for July 29. During the visit, attendees will tour the facilities and have an opportunity to discuss ideas with forest staff about what may be possible. Please RSVP to: [email protected] by July 19, 2020.

Details for submitting an Expression of Interest can be found on the Mt. Hood National Forest website at: www.fs.usda.gov/goto/mthood/rfei

greenjello85

Re: MHNF Requests Expressions of Interest for Bagby Hot Springs Management

Post by greenjello85 » July 7th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Interesting. I'd vote for closing the 70 road and expanding the BOTW wilderness. How fun would it be to backpack miles into a hot springs? It's always been known as kind of a sketchy spot. Hard to picture it as a resort or other major development.