Forest Service Gorge Trails Management Plan Meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2019 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm, Carson, WA

Use this forum to see or share information about upcoming events, hikes, speakers or trail-tending opportunities from Portland-area clubs and organizations. Posts to this forum will automatically delete after 90 days.
bobcat

Re: Forest Service Gorge Trails Management Plan Meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2019 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm, Carson, WA

Post by bobcat » October 22nd, 2019, 8:17 am

While I heartily support the idea of more trails in the Gorge, I tend to agree with the report's assertion that more trails will do little to mitigate the parking problem (For example, I'm enthusiastic about a loop for Angels Rest that will halve the number of boots on any given section of the trail, but that won't help the parking issue there).

Remember that the Gorge has mixed jurisdictions of USFS, State Parks, and ODOT. I can't imagine permits in the Gorge, and hourly ODOT parking fees discriminate against anyone who's going spend a few hours outside of their cars doing longer hikes.

I could live with:

a) a one way west-east US 30 corridor from Bridal Veil Exit to Ainsworth with the other lane given over to parking near trailheads (Two-way, residents only, as far as the Bridal Veil community).

b) a shuttle that runs at peak hours, every half-hour, between Rooster Rock and Ainsworth, where a new parking area will have to be built. Rooster Rock State Park fee would be, in effect, the shuttle "fare".

c) New parking areas where possible, e.g. use Herman Creek Campground (now closed) for extra parking; new trailhead and trail on the east side of Mitchell Point.

d) Tolerate parking along the side of two-way sections of Highway 30 in places; maybe even build a bigger verge. Employ Slow and Congestion signage.

e) Designate a few one-hour only parking slots at places like Starvation Creek and Memaloose Rest Area so those stopping briefly can park legally.

retired jerry

Re: Forest Service Gorge Trails Management Plan Meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2019 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm, Carson, WA

Post by retired jerry » October 22nd, 2019, 8:20 am

yeah, we need to address the parking problem, good proposed solutions

unfortunately, the new parking area at Wyeth was designed with not enough parking spots

they seem to have the attitude of limiting parking to reduce crowding on trails