WTA storm damage work party? Dec. 17th

Use this forum to see or share information about upcoming events, hikes, speakers or trail-tending opportunities from Portland-area clubs and organizations. Posts to this forum will automatically delete after 90 days.
Ryan Ojerio

WTA storm damage work party? Dec. 17th

Post by Ryan Ojerio » December 10th, 2016, 3:44 pm

My neighborhood in NE Portland had a lot of big branches come down in the ice storm. So I'm guessing there are trees down in the Gorge.

I'd like to organize a log-out and branch clean off work party for Saturday Dec. 17th if hikers could help me by identifying places that might need clean up. Maybe Cape Horn, Hamilton Mt. or Dog Mt.??

- any info appreciated, thanks! Ryan
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

Don Nelsen

Re: WTA storm damage work party? Dec. 17th

Post by Don Nelsen » December 10th, 2016, 7:34 pm

I drove out to the Vista House today traveling through Corbett on Hwy 30 and I must say the damage is epic. Worst ice storm for the area in 20 years or more. I would guess every trail in the gorge has suffered at least a few trees down and particularly exposed areas must have been hit hard. Cape horn is one of those areas, of course. I hiked Cape Horn last week and it was in fine shape (except for the expected mud this time of year.) It was just starting to melt when I turned around today about 1:30 and came back to town but there was about 2 inches of freezing rain coating everything. That is enough to bring down some big trees - and it had.

Looks like the weather will return to cold and dry in a few days with possibly a little snow if the current forecast holds. Next weekend might not be a good option for a trail clearing expedition.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 11th, 2016, 5:05 am

Twenty years ago this month. (not my photo)
pdxmarinedrive.jpg
This year's storm wasn't nearly that bad in Troutdale, fortunately, but it seems other areas were hit hard this time.

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » December 13th, 2016, 10:26 am

Looks like more snow coming in tomorrow so we'll be on standby until better weather comes our way.
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657