Sierra High Route Presentation November 12th

Use this forum to see or share information about upcoming events, hikes, speakers or trail-tending opportunities from Portland-area clubs and organizations. Posts to this forum will automatically delete after 90 days.
allgood96

Sierra High Route Presentation November 12th

Post by allgood96 » November 3rd, 2015, 8:50 am

Steve Ropers classic Sierra High Route is a roughly 200 mile cross country route through the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. The route consists of class 3-4 scrambles, off trail navigation and over 33 high passes. In the summer of 2015 Mont-bell athletes Whitney "Allgood" LaRuffa and Liz "Snorkel" Thomas along with a group of 3 other friends set out to thru-hike Roper's route.

Join me Whitney "Allgood" LaRuffa as I share jaw dropping photos and many funny tales of our journey this summer along Roper's Route. Free swag to attendees and few door prizes too form Mont-bell, Sawyer, Gossamer Gear and others.

Location: Mont-bell Store Portland- 902 SW Yamhill St, POrtland, OR 97205
Date and time: November 12th at 7pm
"take only pictures, leave only footprints, Kill only time"

AAdamsPDX

Re: Sierra High Route Presentation November 12th

Post by AAdamsPDX » November 3rd, 2015, 11:50 am

Ooh, count me in!
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

Chazz

Post by Chazz » November 3rd, 2015, 12:42 pm

I'll be there. Christmas is coming and maybe I can find something for myself at Montbell.

allgood96

Post by allgood96 » November 4th, 2015, 10:14 am

Great I can't wait to see you all there next week. I am working on the presentation now would it be beneficial for you both if I was to talk about the logistics of planning for the trip? i.e., permits, resupply points and strategies, transportation etc....

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » November 4th, 2015, 12:29 pm

I've wanted to do the SHR ever since hearing about it, so your presentation will be fantabulous.

Photo: Off trail in Sabrina Basin, Inyo NF (East of SHR)
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » November 5th, 2015, 3:22 pm

I'm always interested in the logistics as it's often the hardest part to learn about with respect to specific hikes. It's the side of hiking that gets the least amount of attention but is super-critical.

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » November 5th, 2015, 8:08 pm

allgood96 wrote:Great I can't wait to see you all there next week. I am working on the presentation now would it be beneficial for you both if I was to talk about the logistics of planning for the trip? i.e., permits, resupply points and strategies, transportation etc....
Logistics, yes. Also recommended skill level with scrambling, navigation, etc. I am GOING to do this someday but need to know where my skills fall short so I can work towards this trip. Actually I think anything you say about this trip will be of interest, regardless of the spin/focus you give it for a presentation!
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

Chazz

Post by Chazz » November 13th, 2015, 6:44 am

Great presentation, Allgood. Really enjoyed it and I'm sure I will treasure my new raffle-won titanium #2 shovel.

allgood96

Post by allgood96 » November 13th, 2015, 9:47 am

Thanks to everyone who made it out last night for the talk, I think it went well for being the first time I have given it and hopefully it will go a bit smoother next time I give it. Chazz enjoy that titanium trowel they work well when you need to dig that perfect cat hole

Chazz

Post by Chazz » November 13th, 2015, 9:55 am

allgood96 wrote:Thanks to everyone who made it out last night for the talk, I think it went well for being the first time I have given it and hopefully it will go a bit smoother next time I give it. Chazz enjoy that titanium trowel they work well when you need to dig that perfect cat hole
It's the perfect gift for the anal-retentive hiker that can't abide a cathole that looks like sh*t.