WTA Seeks Volunteers for Augspurger Trail - Oct. 17/18

Use this forum to see or share information about upcoming events, hikes, speakers or trail-tending opportunities from Portland-area clubs and organizations. Posts to this forum will automatically delete after 90 days.
Ryan Ojerio

WTA Seeks Volunteers for Augspurger Trail - Oct. 17/18

Post by Ryan Ojerio » September 16th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Hi Folks,

We're hosting 2 days of trailwork out on the North end of Augspurger Mt. The trail has some great views and wildflowers in the spring. Our goal is to brush back the thimbleberry and vine maple you you can find the trail! Check out the below pics from a recent trip there.

Details and registration info are here: http://www.wta.org/volunteer/southwest

You can come for either Saturday or Sunday or both, we offer a Saturday Potluck where WTA provides the main dish. Our camp is the old quarry near the trailhead.

- Thanks! Ryan

It is a tough road to get to the trailhead, but my little red truck can make it! The work crew will caravan from Home Valley so nobody will get lost in that maze of power line access roads.

The views kick in right away.

A little farther up after pushing through a thicket of vine maple and thimble berry you break out to an awesome view of the Columbia River and Mt. Adams (just to the right of this pic).

Volunteers wanted to clear this section and reclaim the trail:

There is a trail here somewhere!
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

miah66

Re: WTA Seeks Volunteers for Augspurger Trail - Oct. 17/18

Post by miah66 » September 17th, 2015, 2:12 pm

That's great that the trail will be maintained! I might try to make it, I've never hiked here but long wanted too.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 17th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Wow, that trail really got over grown since I was last there in April this year. I'd show up but I will have been in Vegas the previous four days and might have a hangover!! - But, I still might show up. I know the route and was at the TH just three days ago. The road is good, the potholes are full of water but a regular car can do it - with care.

thanks for the invite.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

beag

Post by beag » September 19th, 2015, 9:44 am

Ryan,when was this picture taken. Almost 2years ago a few of us done a lot of work in that area, so it may not be as bad as it looks. I hope a lot of PHs will volunteer for this project. Lopping is not physical so anyone can help. It is good to give a little back to pay for all the enjoyment we get hiking. This is a fantastic area. Some of the best views in the Gorge and the flowers are incredible in season. You can get a great workout hiking to N Aug from Dog or Cook Hill. I drive up there in a small Toyota. Just need to watch for potholes where you need to be careful.

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » September 19th, 2015, 12:59 pm

I was scouting out there a little over a month ago. The thimbleberry grows very fast. I visited a site on the south side of Augspurger Mt. where we had a WTA event just this past March (6 months ago) and you could see where the crew had worked on digging out the roots of the plants. But where they had simply cut the plants they were nearly as tall as the areas that had not been cut.
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657