Cape Horn Conservancy raises funds for new overlook site

Use this forum to see or share information about upcoming events, hikes, speakers or trail-tending opportunities from Portland-area clubs and organizations. Posts to this forum will automatically delete after 90 days.
Ryan Ojerio

Cape Horn Conservancy raises funds for new overlook site

Post by Ryan Ojerio » December 4th, 2014, 1:47 pm

Hello Hikers,

The Cape Horn Conservancy (CHC) is raising funds to build a much needed safety improvement above the waterfall overlook. They've worked out a design with the Forest Service and found a stone mason to built it - the price tag $31,500. So far they've raised $20,705!

A very generous donor has offered to provide the final $5,000 as soon as the fund reaches $26,500. So they have just $5,795 left to go. Please join me in supporting their effort with a contribution.

You can donate through the CHC website at http://www.capehorntrail.org or if you prefer, send a check to Cape Horn Conservancy, 211 Malfait Tracts Road, Washougal, WA 98671

Artist's rendering of the proposed overlook above the waterfall just south of Hwy 14. Photo courtesy of the Cape Horn Conservancy

Your contribution will be an important part of creating the lasting legacy that this overlook will provide for generations to come.

- Thank You! Ryan

Sunrise from the waterfall overlook. Photo by Dan Huntington, used with permission.
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

Guy

Re: Cape Horn Conservancy raises funds for new overlook site

Post by Guy » December 4th, 2014, 5:03 pm

I'm a bit confused, wasn't the current stone overlook just built a few years ago?
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » December 4th, 2014, 5:28 pm

This overlook will be much smaller and is located on the lower segment just south of Hwy 14. Currently there is a short, steep spur trail off the main route that descends to a bare area. If you peek over the edge you can see the waterfall and the footbridge down below.

There is a 3rd overlook platform that is in the Forest Service Plan for the trail. It is a bit further downriver where stairs lead to it. The plan is to build that one in last, maybe in 2017? Currently there is a sort of buck and pole fence with a sign asking folks to avoid trampling the vegetation on the cliff-edge "bench".
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

beag

Post by beag » December 6th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Guy, This is at the viewpoint on top of the Falls.I like the idea but is a little overkill. What I worry about is that it may be too popular and you get hordes of people parking at the S Bends onSR 14 just to see the Falls and View. If there is too much traffic there the police may restrict or bar traffic there. I like the option of starting my hike there. When they werebuilding the tunnel nearby I suggested that more parking be provided there. All the equipment was parked there so it would not have cost much.

Guy

Post by Guy » December 7th, 2014, 6:14 am

Jim, Ryan, thanks for the clarification.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors