McKenzie River

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
MtnGoat

McKenzie River

Post by MtnGoat » July 23rd, 2008, 5:41 pm

I am going to hike the entire McKenzie River trail 26.5 mile next week, I have no set date to leave yet just some time between Sunday and Wednesday if anyone would like to go let me know and I was thinking of a 2 or 3 day trip.

fetch

Re: McKenzie River

Post by fetch » July 23rd, 2008, 7:03 pm

MCKENZIE RIVER RANGER DISTRICT RECREATION UPDATE

Date: 07/21/2008
Subject: Temporary Closure of McKenzie River Trail
Starting July 15th, a portion of the McKenzie River Trail near Trail Bridge Campground will be closed weekdays for approximately three weeks. The trail will be closed on weekdays only, from Trail Bridge Campground northbound to Tamolitch Falls.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/gene ... ard-mc.php

Personally, torqued my plans last week and had to adjust fire accordingly because I'm a weekday hiker...did some trail along 19 instead.

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat » July 23rd, 2008, 7:18 pm

Thanks I did not know that, well now I need to find a new trail any good ideas as close to Salem as possible ?? or just go from the south side to trail bridge res and back

fetch

Post by fetch » July 23rd, 2008, 9:40 pm

Can't help on the Salem Q; I'm on the other side of the hills.

The closure is only for ~3.9 miles of trail; maybe just road walk it to past tamolitch and bushwack to the dry river bed and regain the trail? Don't know the area well enough to know if plausible/possible or not - i.e., too lava-y.

Or you can always do some of the trails along 19 if you're not locked in on doing one continuous trail. For example, you can stay at any one of the developed/undeveloped camping sites along the road/in Waldo Wilderness and within short mileage of each other (longest distances given listed) are:

Rebel Creek (12.3 mi loop)
French Pete Creek (10 mi RT)
Chucksney Mountain (10.3 mi loop)
Erma Bell Lakes (8.4 mi loop)
North Fork Middle Fork - aka Shale Ridge Trail (5.6 mi RT or if start from Constitution Grove, 10+)

I did part of Shale Ridge the other week and it was pleasant enough; a little humid, a little boggy in places, a few 'quito & flies, but nice greenery and trees. And there's trails you can look into in addition to what I listed + hot springs near Oakridge/along 19.

Or you can scout what's up 22 towards Detroit. It was pleasant out that way, too, last week once you got away from Detroit lake/marina. Stay away from the Pyramids area, though, the 'quito were swarming along watersources there. It was impressive. Luckily, for the most part they were more interested in the heat being given off by the rig's engine than my puny heat/CO2 output.

MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat » July 24th, 2008, 8:00 am

Cool thanks Fetch, I think I will just start on the South end and hike up to trail bridge Res and turn back no big deal.