First of season snowshoe?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
nyxlily

First of season snowshoe?

Post by nyxlily » November 9th, 2009, 9:35 am

So, I heard tell that there was a mighty storm over the weekend and there now be SNOW up on them mountains.

Or, more specifically, Mt. Hood!

I'm free either Tuesday or Wednesday for those who want to venture up there for a little bit of snowshoeing to warm us up for the winter season. Any interests?

Of course, this is very dependent on weather.. if it's going to be snowing hard on those days, I'll be waiting for the next opportunity.

I haven't decided on where to go yet.. maybe park up at Timberline Lodge and go from there? A return to some hot coacoa sounds good..

If interested, PM me!

Jane

Re: First of season snowshoe?

Post by Jane » November 9th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Hey nyxlily, if you don't go snowshoeing, join us on this hike Tuesday:
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 207#p21207

I might be interested "next" Tuesday or the following Tuesday for a snowshoe, keep us posted!

jessbee

Post by jessbee » November 15th, 2009, 7:55 am

I am also interested in finding snowshoeing partners...my vehicle isn't up to plowing through much snow. I already got turned back by snow this weekend near Mt St Helens.

I can only get out on weekends, no weekdays. And I am interested in more off-the-beaten path stuff, like NOT Trillium Lake, etc... PM me if you are interested in hitting some snowy trails.

Check it out: Mt. Mitchell on November 14th:

Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

katz4hiking

Post by katz4hiking » November 17th, 2009, 5:05 pm

I have the same situation.

Work Mon-Fri, but can get a day off mid-week with advance notice.

Don't drive in the snow, but willing to pay for gas.
Heck, I might even treat the driver to hot cocoa!

New to winter-white hiking, but ready to learn.

Anybody have any ideas?

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » November 18th, 2009, 4:19 pm

This winter will be my fourth year snowshoeing and third year xc skiing. When the snow is fresh and powdery, I'm more inclined to go xc skiing. But when the snow is crunchy, then I like to snowshoe as I'm not too technically-skilled on skis (ice scares me).

My vehicle is good in the snow, and I have experience driving in wintry conditions. With gear, I can fit three people in addition to myself and my dog, Max.

Would be fun to get out there with a group, so please PM me if you have some upcoming dates in mind. Typically I go on weekends, but can venture out on a weekday with advance notice.

cheers!
Kam
Kam

katz4hiking

Post by katz4hiking » November 19th, 2009, 5:49 pm

Jesseb and I are going to try for an outting on Saturday if'n you wanna join us. You can see my infoin the Introduce Yourself Forum.
Kathy

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » November 21st, 2009, 3:09 pm

Thanks for the invitation! I'm up in Seattle this weekend. Look forward to seeing your trip report. Let me know the next time you are heading out. I'm going to try to make it up to Mt. Hood next week since I have Thursday - Sunday off from work. Send me a PM if you are available :)
Kam

fettster

Post by fettster » November 23rd, 2009, 9:58 pm

pdxflowergirl wrote:Let me know the next time you are heading out. I'm going to try to make it up to Mt. Hood next week since I have Thursday - Sunday off from work. Send me a PM if you are available :)
Anyone headed out for the snow this weekend? I'm off that same stretch. I'm a bit like Jessbee too looking for some adventurous 'shoeing.

yosemite hiker

Post by yosemite hiker » November 24th, 2009, 7:40 am

fettster wrote:
pdxflowergirl wrote:Let me know the next time you are heading out. I'm going to try to make it up to Mt. Hood next week since I have Thursday - Sunday off from work. Send me a PM if you are available :)
Anyone headed out for the snow this weekend? I'm off that same stretch. I'm a bit like Jessbee too looking for some adventurous 'shoeing.
I'm planning on getting out Friday or Saturday, although I haven't decided if it should be XC-skis or snowshoes.

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » November 24th, 2009, 9:00 am

fettster wrote:Anyone headed out for the snow this weekend? I'm off that same stretch. I'm a bit like Jessbee too looking for some adventurous 'shoeing.
yostemite hiker wrote:I'm planning on getting out Friday or Saturday, although I haven't decided if it should be XC-skis or snowshoes.
I'm up for going either xc skiing or snowshoeing this Saturday.
Kam