Death March 09 - We have a plan

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
cerritulusman

Death March 09 - We have a plan

Post by cerritulusman » June 22nd, 2009, 10:13 am

Ok so I am still in the planning and review stage but I thought I would ask if there was any interest on the forum for the following. 30miles in 36 hours or less, continues hiking, some where in the gorge, late September. Open to suggestions should have a written plan in two weeks or so.
Last edited by cerritulusman on July 6th, 2009, 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric
Learning more means understand how little you know
http://woodswalkernw.blogspot.com/

OneSpeed

Re: Death March 09

Post by OneSpeed » June 22nd, 2009, 10:46 am

30 miles in 36 hours of continuous hiking? This link might be of some help.

cerritulusman

Post by cerritulusman » June 22nd, 2009, 9:00 pm

OneSpeed wrote:30 miles in 36 hours of continuous hiking? This link might be of some help.

Are you telling me that it can not be done? I am not much for this type of thing normally but this has me interested.
Eric

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » June 22nd, 2009, 9:43 pm

Not that it can't be done -- just that it sounds crazy!

Maybe you should try the annual Mazamas Triple D hike: Dog, Defiance, and Devils Rest in a day. It's like 20 miles and 10,000 feet of gain, or something.

Just having fun with ya!

Paul

nyxlily

Post by nyxlily » June 22nd, 2009, 9:47 pm

Ooooh. Intriguing! I'm totally interested in this.

I once drove 30+ hours without any sleep.. hey, I was in my early early 20's.. we were allowed to do stupid things. Anyway, it wasn't an experience I want to.. um, experience again. But hiking it? HELL YEAH! I really want to give it a go.

Martell

Post by Martell » June 23rd, 2009, 8:30 am

My guess is if you are in good enough shape to do this, you can probably get it done in less than 36 hours. Anyways, if you need an idea for a route, look for the trip reports done by some of the trail runners on here. I think tons of joerunner's hikes would be somewhere around this mileage. Here is an example: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... &sk=t&sd=a
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

cerritulusman

Post by cerritulusman » June 23rd, 2009, 6:48 pm

I have been doing the numbers I and I am not sure the main factor is your physical fitness level. With out question how fit you are will play a big roll in your calorie consumption, temperature control, wear on feet and knees. However I think the big factor on this is your mental strength. Now the longest I have been with out sleep it 89.5 hr and the longest active with out sleep is 68 hr. On at least a dozen or better time I have been up and active for 36+. In all cases there were no stimulants involved or chemical enhancements. Now I am know trail runner so it is walking for me. The triple D sounds interesting, and it might be a good training hike. However I am not much for groups larger then 10.
Eric

chameleon

Post by chameleon » June 23rd, 2009, 6:59 pm

If you get real brave, do a google search on "The Leadville 100." I worked out of Leadville one summer and witnessed this cool event. We were cutting a new trail over Hope Pass, the high point on this 100 mile course, and I was pretty much amazed by the folks running it. I'd like to do it in a couple years maybe. I'd like to do the Bridger Ridge Run next year (20 miles along the crest of a mountain range near Bozeman MT), but there's no way I'd be in shape for the Leadville 100. We were camped on the North basin of the pass the night of the race, and though runners were going by all through the day, they continued in headlamp-light into the night. It was quite a scene watching the small lights traverse the numerous switchbacks down the pass. Pretty cool event. 100 miles at elevations nearing 13,000 ft. with a 30 hour cutoff. (If you are not on pace to finish in 30 hours, they cut you off) They also always have ambulances waiting at the finish!
Last edited by chameleon on June 23rd, 2009, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » June 23rd, 2009, 7:05 pm

What year were you in Leadville, cham? I was there every summer or fall from '93 to '04. Did you check out the 1800's cemetery on the edge of town? The cemetery behind the actual cemetery with all the unmarked graves? If Eric doesn't make it, we can secure a plot for him there. Tee hee.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

cerritulusman

Post by cerritulusman » June 23rd, 2009, 10:00 pm

anna in boots wrote:What year were you in Leadville, cham? I was there every summer or fall from '93 to '04. Did you check out the 1800's cemetery on the edge of town? The cemetery behind the actual cemetery with all the unmarked graves? If Eric doesn't make it, we can secure a plot for him there. Tee hee.

anna in boots

Why thank you Anna for your gracious consideration of my final accommodations..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have the first option mapped out heading up Eagle Creek and returning on the PCT to and a trail I do not remember the name of to Eagle Creek Campground. I have not yet done all of the math it does look good. Most likely going to tap friends and such for support crew if any interested.

Night
Eric