Mt St Helens Worms flow route 3/25 - 3/27

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
HanfordHiker

Mt St Helens Worms flow route 3/25 - 3/27

Post by HanfordHiker » March 19th, 2016, 6:38 pm

hi,

I live in eastern washington and am looking for folks to hike Mt St Helens via worms flow route next weekend -- a little short notice! I have asked my area's outdoor recreation group but no one responded, and this is the last weekend in March (I would like to do it in March, assuming weather holds, while the unilimited and self-register winter climbing permits are available)

I am solo and have no one to hike it with, I would prefer if 2+ people were willing to meet up. I have work off Friday - Sunday so I can definitely make it.

I have limited snowshoe experience but I and my gear should hold up at least to near the true summit (snowshoes and pretty good microspikes but not full on crampons or ice axe).

winter climbing permits (permits required year round above 4800') are self-register with no cost until march 31. sno-park for to marble mountain sno-park would be required

see: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/moun ... flow-route

I do have just a very basic avalanche safety course but I am not really aware of this route being prone to avalanches and the immediate forecast should stay within the moderate/low level (e.g. see https://www.nwac.us/ -- conditions should still be freezing for overnight temperatures and low precipitation is forecast within 24 hours particularly if the date was saturday 3/26 or sunday 3/27). But I've never been on this trail before and have no idea of the slopes/conditions, etc.

I would offer to cover fees (gas/snopark), I just don't really want to do this hike alone in the winter being so unfamiliar with any potential safety issues or not knowing the route

I would ask for an ~7 am start time; it is a 4.5 hour drive for me so I might be a little off on timing. I would work out details so I would email or text you to give heads up on my arrival, if I don't leave until like 3 AM or something.

I am young/mid 20s male, but will hike with anyone (though again, preferably 2+ others).

Thanks to anyone interested! Happy hiking everyone :) !

edit 3/27: Hiked in 3/26. For anyone who might run across this in the future from any search function, the trail was very well defined and there were lots of folks out on it, presumably by March time. More hikers also helps the glissading on the way down (more people carving out the paths)! Lots of views of mt adams and mt hood, it was a beautiful day but couldn't see out to rainier when I was at the rim. Enjoy!
Last edited by HanfordHiker on March 27th, 2016, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffstatt

Re: Mt St Helens Worms flow route 3/25 - 3/27

Post by jeffstatt » March 21st, 2016, 9:22 am

Sounds like a great plan. Hope you find some takers and share photos when you're done. GOOD LUCK :)

rollover610

Re: Mt St Helens Worms flow route 3/25 - 3/27

Post by rollover610 » March 28th, 2016, 11:16 am

I just read your edited... you said trail pretty well defined... did you even need snowshoes for it? Any pics? We're going up the 31st so was looking around for conditions lol. Thanks!