Long Shot -- Banff in Late August?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
anne37

Long Shot -- Banff in Late August?

Post by anne37 » March 9th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Hey hikers! Anyone want to join a duo for some intermediate alpine hikes in Banff the last week of August? I know it's a long shot, but if you're heading up there and want safety in numbers, let me know. :D

arundodonax

Re: Long Shot -- Banff in Late August?

Post by arundodonax » March 10th, 2016, 5:46 pm

I might be interested - I've wanted to head up there and I'm a little grizzly wary without others. How long? Backpacking or just day hikes? Any routes planned? I'll probably send you a PM.

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » March 13th, 2016, 8:50 pm

anne37 wrote:Hey hikers! Anyone want to join a duo for some intermediate alpine hikes in Banff the last week of August? I know it's a long shot, but if you're heading up there and want safety in numbers, let me know. :D
I would if I already didn't have a Zion trip planned! Banff looks gorgeous!

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

HanfordHiker

Post by HanfordHiker » March 19th, 2016, 7:05 pm

For what it is (randomly) worth, I was planning to try to make an extended weekend in calgary and do a couple days of day-hikes just at sentinel pass and lake o'hara (or maybe camp one night or something; yoho national park allows backcountry permits to be reserved 3 months in advance)

I would not be able to commit to any specific time for that :/

Though I will plug Mt Assiniboine (leaving from sunshine village ski area) as an absolutely fantastic backpack. I did that in 2015 in mid september time and it really blew my socks off! Highly highly recommended.

drm

Post by drm » March 28th, 2016, 11:55 am

I've been considering heading up there for a return trip this summer, but not that late. I went a few years ago in August and the weather was terrible. I later read that a monsoon of sorts sometimes hits that far north in August. The year I went it was gorgeous and sunny all of July so if I go again this year it would more likely be around then. I was looking at the Mystic/Badger Pass loop.