Labor Day weekend backpacking

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
TodF

Labor Day weekend backpacking

Post by TodF » September 3rd, 2015, 8:32 am

Looking for possible backpacking companions for Labor Day weekend (and after?). Thinking about Battle Ax loop in Opal Creek Wilderness for this weekend, mostly because I'm trying to avoid crowds and fire smoke.

My wife has made it clear that she is no longer interested in hikes that involve much distance and/or elevation, which leaves out many of the hikes in the area that I am interested in, and most backpacking. My best backpacking buddy went and found a girlfriend, and isn't available much any more.

I'm 51, fit but not a competitive athlete, liberal (yeah, if I'm spending significant time with someone it matters), on the intellectual/philosophical side but not pedantic or pompous. I like conversation, but I like silence too. My typical comfortable day hiking distance limit is 15 miles if there is much climbing involved, longer with less climbing. With a full backpack probably more like 10-ish miles. Spectacular destinations can inspire me to do more, but I am trying to keep myself reined in as I get older.

I'm a hammock camper, which often gives me more flexibility in campsite selection except above the tree line. I have been lauded for my backpacking cuisine, mostly aided by my dehydrator.

If you are interested in chatting, drop me a PM.

Thanks!
Tod