Blanca Lake and Benchmark, August 15 and 16

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
jointhedance

Blanca Lake and Benchmark, August 15 and 16

Post by jointhedance » August 7th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Visiting the Hwy. 2 candy store, and looking for a little company. Gena (from Bellevue)and I hiking West Cady Ridge to Benchmark, near the PCT, then I am planning to camp at Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie campground San Juan, and visit Blanca before heading back to Portland, so the invite is for Benchmark, and Blanca. Aug. 15 and 16. San Juan camp has no water.

dfs1109

Re: Blanca Lake and Benchmark, August 15 and 16

Post by dfs1109 » October 12th, 2015, 11:28 pm

So this is actually the hike I might plan on Thursday/Friday.

Start at Blanca Lk TH, go to the lake climb up the glacier on the north end of lake, veer right (east-northeast) climb to the top of Keyes Peak traverse north up the ridge to Monte Cristo Peak and start looking for a way down to the west. Might have to go as far north as Cadet Peak or Ida pass to get down to glacier creek and the old mining town to link back up with the trail that goes clockwise to the on of the camp grounds (maybe San Juan) then back to the Blanca TH Friday sometime.

I've reached out to the ranger station via email to see if this route is allowed and/or possible. Sent email on Monday and still awaiting a respone. Weather will be my biggest deterrent but right now both days seem good.

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2015, 5:32 am

I've found government agencies don't reply to emails. They must get overloaded.

They usually don't answer the phone either :) but if you try multiple times you can get through.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 13th, 2015, 6:27 am

retired jerry wrote:I've found government agencies don't reply to emails. They must get overloaded.

They usually don't answer the phone either :) but if you try multiple times you can get through.
I've generally had the opposite experience and received replies to most any email inquiry that I have sent. The state parks people are especially good. But I've even sent a question about a tidepool species to the state parks people which they forwarded to the Hatfield Marine Research people and I still got my answer within 24 hours.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2015, 6:49 am

Confirmation bias?

Since I think they don't reply to emails, I don't email them, so that's why they never reply to my emails? :)

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » October 13th, 2015, 7:32 am

retired jerry wrote:Confirmation bias?

Since I think they don't reply to emails, I don't email them, so that's why they never reply to my emails? :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » October 14th, 2015, 12:36 am

I've inly reached out twice now and once they reply the next day but on this attempt I having heard back. May still go and check thing out in my own.

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan