Seeking cohorts for PCT section hiking

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
Oregon Nomad

Seeking cohorts for PCT section hiking

Post by Oregon Nomad » August 6th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Hi all,

My bride of 13 years is not a hiker, and she is not at all comfortable with me spending days on end in the backcountry all by myself. When we got married, she understood that I loved "playing outside" and she knew what she was getting into by marrying a guy like me. However, in the past few years my honey has begun dealing with emotional issues related to traumatic experiences she went through as a young adult. When I go backpacking, she is worried sick. My bride loves me and wants me to do the things that I love, but we have talked things over and agreed that she would be a LOT LESS WORRIED if I was backpacking with other people and not solo. Therefore, in order to continue doing something that I love, and to also show consideration for someONE I love, I have agreed to begin backpacking with other like-minded folks. It is either that, or I will have to hang up my overnight backpack and confine myself to day hikes. I cannot and will not do something that causes my wife unnecessary and extreme worry.

With the above in mind, this year I am looking to start doing section hikes of the PCT, beginning at the trailhead near Willamette Pass and going north to Canada. This year's section hike will be split up into two parts, each taking roughly three days to complete: Part One will be from the trailhead near Willamette Pass to the trailhead across the road from Elk Lake Resort, which is located along the Cascade Lakes Highway. I plan to do this section over/around Labor Day Weekend. Part Two will pick up where the first hike ended and continue to Mackenzie Pass. I plan to do this segment in either late September or early October. I live in Bend, so this will be the easiest section for me to access.

Next year I will be able to devote an entire week to section hiking the PCT. Hopefully by then there will be few of us who can get together for this annual adventure.

Anyone interested can contact me via email or text. See my signature.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Jody

Email: [email protected]
Text/Phone: 541-390-4972

retired jerry

Re: Seeking cohorts for PCT section hiking

Post by retired jerry » August 6th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Delorme Inreach SE - text her via satelite occasionally

sprengers4jc

Re: Seeking cohorts for PCT section hiking

Post by sprengers4jc » August 6th, 2015, 3:56 pm

retired jerry wrote:Delorme Inreach SE - text her via satelite occasionally
Yeah, I was going to suggest that as well. I am currently tracking a friend and his son who are doing the Hatfield and it's an easy system to use, from the looks of things. It's buying our friend's wife a lot of peace of mind to just be able to log in and see exactly where they are, 24/7.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown